in

R3 creaking.

Last post 07-05-2017 10:49 AM by MidTNBrad. 104 replies.
Page 2 of 7 (105 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-01-2016 11:26 AM In reply to

• trex021
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-11-2013
    • Minneapolis
    • Posts 268

Re: R3 creaking.

I think you need to try swapping the crankset. Is there any way you can borrow one from your lbs? It can't hurt to ask.

edit: I see you have a Rotor 3Df with a P2M. Do you have the Rotor Lock Ring Tool? I'd see if that is seated properly.
  • 06-01-2016 1:07 PM In reply to

I would like to, but my lbs is not a cervelo dealer and doesnt have rotor cranks laying around. Since i have a bbinfinite installed, shimano cranks wont work.
  • 06-01-2016 2:13 PM In reply to

• trex021
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-11-2013
    • Minneapolis
    • Posts 268

bobbob, where are you located?

I sent you an email. If you can get your hands on a Shimano crankset I'll lend you an adapter (assuming you're in the US) so you can do a crankset swap test in your current bottom bracket.
  • 06-01-2016 6:59 PM In reply to

trex021:
    bobbob, where are you located?

I sent you an email. If you can get your hands on a Shimano crankset I'll lend you an adapter (assuming you're in the US) so you can do a crankset swap test in your current bottom bracket.

Hi, i would say about 1400 miles hehehe

Thanks for the offer. I will bring the bike to a cervelo dealer. Its about 60 miles from home but at least they will be able to try another rotor crank easily.

• 06-01-2016 8:03 PM In reply to

• trex021
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-11-2013
    • Minneapolis
    • Posts 268

Canada? Let me know if you'd like me to send you the adapter. All I ask is you send it back after you've adequately tested with it. Otherwise, good luck with the Cervelo dealer. Hope you figure it out soon.
  • 06-01-2016 9:23 PM In reply to

trex021:
    Canada? Let me know if you'd like me to send you the adapter. All I ask is you send it back after you've adequately tested with it. Otherwise, good luck with the Cervelo dealer. Hope you figure it out soon.

Yup Canada.

Thanks for your offer. I believe the best thing to do is to bring it to the dealer. I thing there is two possibilities remaining for that stupid craking sound. Its either the crank or frame.

If its the frame I will be at the right place.

• 06-01-2016 9:28 PM In reply to

I havent seen that post edited.

I havent noticed if my lbs has the tool. Do I need the specific rotor tool ? My lbs removed the crank several times so he certainly had some tool to do it.

• 06-01-2016 10:39 PM In reply to

• trex021
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-11-2013
    • Minneapolis
    • Posts 268

You don't need this particular tool to remove or install the crankset from the bottom bracket. You do need it to attach or remove the drive side crankarm to the spider (or in your case the P2M) I'm just speculating that it's a possible source of the noise. Any Rotor dealer should have the lock ring tool.

see this post: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=128758#p1101907

watch this: https://youtu.be/f-_mdaKAaHQ?t=5m27s

• 06-02-2016 7:59 AM In reply to

trex021:
    You don't need this particular tool to remove or install the crankset from the bottom bracket. You do need it to attach or remove the drive side crankarm to the spider (or in your case the P2M) I'm just speculating that it's a possible source of the noise. Any Rotor dealer should have the lock ring tool.

see this post: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=128758#p1101907

watch this: https://youtu.be/f-_mdaKAaHQ?t=5m27s

ah ok. I bought the tool from power2max for the powermeter installation.

• 06-02-2016 10:35 AM In reply to

• trex021
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-11-2013
    • Minneapolis
    • Posts 268

The video said to use Loctite Compounds 638 (spline) and 243 (lockring threads). Seems like a good idea. Mine was installed by Power2Max (on a 3D+) so I have no idea if they put the Loctite on it. I've had no creaking though.
  • 06-04-2016 12:26 PM In reply to

Here is a video of the infamous sound. Of course it is amplified by the mic cell phone in the water bottle rack.

In the video I am producing the sound by doing a super slow motion sprint. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6IP7iECDYw

By the way, can i embed the video directly ?

We can eliminate already the following things that were already switched or removed :

Wheels/skewers

Seat/seatpost

Shoes /Pedals

Water bottle racks.

Chain/cassette

Chainrings/bolts

Bearings in the bbinfinite module.

The bbinfinite itself is not supposed to creak/click.

Any ideas ?

Im leaning toward the crank itself (rotor 3df).

My lbs is puzzled as the sound is always the same and never changes one bit.

• 06-05-2016 4:08 PM In reply to

One thing not mentioned is the chainring bolts? Dismantle the bolts & rings then clean everything. Re-assemble with grease on all mating surfaces. I had a similar click on the drive side but only under load. Turned out it was play in the front Mavic hub but as you've tried 2 different wheels it's unlikely to be that. Another thought, end of front deraillieur cable catching the crank as it rotates? (assuming its not Di2 etc.)
  • 06-05-2016 6:14 PM In reply to

Already tried.

Will add it to the list

• 06-08-2016 1:19 PM In reply to

I recently worked on my friend's '14 R3 with a Rotor 3DF crankset...

I removed the OEM Rotor BB with plastic cups and pressed a new Wheels Mfg. PF30 Angular Contact bearings Threaded inner sleeve BB.  The installation of the BB was flawless, perfectly aligned and for extra insurance, I pressed the cups using Loctite 609 retaining compound.  The Rotor 3DF crankset was installed according to spec in terms of preload on the NDS and torque setting on the DS... the crank spun smoothly and there was no lateral play.

His bike was making a constant ticking sound, which I thought was from the BB itself.  However, after having installed what I believe is the best option for a PF30 BB out there, guess what, the same sound persists.  I know the BB is not the source of the noise, because this noise sounds like a metal on metal, and similar to what you would hear when a cassette is loose on the freehub and noises occur as you apply torque with each pedal stroke.

Having said all that, I too lean on something in terms of the points of contact with the interfaces of the Rotor 3DF crankset... it may very well be the interface between the spider and spindle, or maybe the NDS arm and spindle... or both! Lol

In any case, we checked chainring bolts as well and that was fine, so I would be very interested to see what you find if able to tighten the spider, especially with the use of a Loctite threadlocker.  

I could easily test the different crankset theory, but unfortunately, my friend is a stubborn person, who to my disbelief is ok with the clicking/ticking.  I did tell him that a good, cheap option, especially for his full Sram setup, is to search for a Sram S-series BB30 crankset (S900/901-130BCD) / S950/S902-110BCD).  

Sorry to hear about your ongoing issues, but I guess you are not alone... let's hope we can get to the bottom of it.  Good luck!

• 06-08-2016 2:03 PM In reply to

Just to make sure that people know that there Cervelo has a Rotor OEM 3D+crankset which is different than the retail Rotor 3D+ crankset. The Cervelo OEM one has a spider that is already spaced specifically for BBRight. The retail version requires a 11.5mm spacer. I had issues with the OEM which produced the ticking sound. I noticed some cervelo bikes have the retail version which require the spacer. I am curious to find out if those with continuous clicking/ticking problems have the OEM version. When I switched cranks to the retail version, it resolved my issue. However, going back to the OEM version, the noise came back.
Page 2 of 7 (105 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.