in

R3 creaking.

Last post 05-22-2017 9:09 AM by monk. 101 replies.
Page 3 of 7 (102 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-08-2016 2:27 PM In reply to

Re: R3 creaking.

Yes, we are aware that the OEM 3DF's spider builds back towards the bearing occupying the space that used to be the 11.5mm drive side spacer.  Basically, the same way the OEM FSA Gossamer BBright crankset is built. 

I'm guessing (but could be wrong unless seeing pics) that the OEM Rotor 3D is really the 3D30 for BBright... also, Rotor has created another OEM crankset for Cervelo... it is the 2D and comes on the S2.

In any case, it will be very interesting to see if tinkering with the wider spider on the suspect Rotor 3DF crankset will yield favorable, as in, less or no clicking/ticking... we shall see.

• 06-08-2016 6:02 PM In reply to

Hutch:

I recently worked on my friend's '14 R3 with a Rotor 3DF crankset...

I removed the OEM Rotor BB with plastic cups and pressed a new Wheels Mfg. PF30 Angular Contact bearings Threaded inner sleeve BB.  The installation of the BB was flawless, perfectly aligned and for extra insurance, I pressed the cups using Loctite 609 retaining compound.  The Rotor 3DF crankset was installed according to spec in terms of preload on the NDS and torque setting on the DS... the crank spun smoothly and there was no lateral play.

His bike was making a constant ticking sound, which I thought was from the BB itself.  However, after having installed what I believe is the best option for a PF30 BB out there, guess what, the same sound persists.  I know the BB is not the source of the noise, because this noise sounds like a metal on metal, and similar to what you would hear when a cassette is loose on the freehub and noises occur as you apply torque with each pedal stroke.

Having said all that, I too lean on something in terms of the points of contact with the interfaces of the Rotor 3DF crankset... it may very well be the interface between the spider and spindle, or maybe the NDS arm and spindle... or both! Lol

In any case, we checked chainring bolts as well and that was fine, so I would be very interested to see what you find if able to tighten the spider, especially with the use of a Loctite threadlocker.  

I could easily test the different crankset theory, but unfortunately, my friend is a stubborn person, who to my disbelief is ok with the clicking/ticking.  I did tell him that a good, cheap option, especially for his full Sram setup, is to search for a Sram S-series BB30 crankset (S900/901-130BCD) / S950/S902-110BCD).  

Sorry to hear about your ongoing issues, but I guess you are not alone... let's hope we can get to the bottom of it.  Good luck!

Hi Hutch, i added a video on the first post where you can hear the clicking sound really good.

Can you watch it and tell me if it was the same sound as your friend.

link is :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6IP7iECDYw&feature=youtu.be

Thanks

• 06-08-2016 7:51 PM In reply to

bobbob:

Hi Hutch, i added a video on the first post where you can hear the clicking sound really good.

Thanks

Hi bobbob,

That is precisely the same sounds my friend's bike makes!! Looks (or sounds) like we are onto something. ; - ) 

• 06-09-2016 8:30 AM In reply to

Hutch:

bobbob:

Thanks

Hi bobbob,

That is precisely the same sounds my friend's bike makes!! Looks (or sounds) like we are onto something. ; - ) 

I hope I can find it soon. Of course in the video im producing the sound on purpose. Its less present that that.

I dont know if Cervélo can offer some advice on it.

• 06-09-2016 11:25 AM In reply to

bobbob,

This is something that I believe Cervelo won't get involved unless you begin seeing more and more complaints that can actually be pinpointed without doubt to the Rotor OEM cranksets.  That's why it's imperative that we determine the problem is directly related to the spider/spindle interface of the Rotor 3DF crankset by tightening the spider using a Loctite compound and/or a threadlocker.

Of course, simply swapping with another crankset that is compatible with BBright would be the simplest and quickest way to troubleshoot the problem.  In addition, it has been stated by darkme8t, that the swap of cranksets on his bike stopped the clicking/ticking sounds.

I know you mentioned that your LBS is not a Cervelo dealer, and that the dealer is not quite close, but either or both are your best bet to get the problem sorted out.  Either shop should have a compatible crankset laying around that they can mount by using a simple combination of spacers... if not, a quick takeoff from another bike to mount on yours and a simple test ride around the bike shop would not hurt anything and easily eliminate that possibility.  I know that is what I would do if I was the bike shop manager and you came to me with this problem.

Turning the tables back on Cervelo... only after repeated reported issues and clear evidence with a defective issue, is that they will get on the case and get Rotor involved.  For instance, let's say we continue troubleshooting and determine it is the spider/spindle interface, we can show evidence. Furthermore, let's say in the future the new OEM Rotor 2D cranksets that now come with the S2 begins to see the same issues, then it would be Cervelo's responsibility to approach Rotor for them to look into those cranksets, assembly process, quality control, etc...

If we want change, we have to make change... a little hard work and persistence now, could potentially change the way customers receive their bike in the future. For example, Cervelo's PressFit instructions document didn't appear from thin air, it was because customers came here and pointed at a persistent problem that was being observed with the newly introduced BBright frames.

The dealers are the first line of defense and should do everything to eliminate all possible sources that could be producing the noises.  If they are unwilling and/or unable, then we have to take matters into our own hands and rely on each other for experience and expertise.  It is the invaluable source of information this forum continues to be.  Good luck!

• 06-09-2016 11:41 AM In reply to

Hey guys, It took a lot of time and effort to convince even to my bike shop that it was the crankset that was the issue of the clicking. It wasnt until I gave them my old crankset and had them try it on one of their bikes that they finally believe me. Of course, they had to wait until about they used it for ~200-250 miles for the clicking to appear. What's made it difficult to troubleshoot is that once you loosen and reinstall the cranks, it will be good for a certain number of miles. Eventually the click would come back. One of the things I saw when I was looking at 2016 S3 and even some of the R3 with a later production date is that they are using the non OEM crankset. You can see that it is using the 11.5 spacer instead of the BBRight specific spider. IDK if they made changes or it was just the one bike shop i went to.
  • 06-09-2016 12:10 PM In reply to

darkme8t:
    Hey guys, It took a lot of time and effort to convince even to my bike shop that it was the crankset that was the issue of the clicking. It wasnt until I gave them my old crankset and had them try it on one of their bikes that they finally believe me. Of course, they had to wait until about they used it for ~200-250 miles for the clicking to appear. What's made it difficult to troubleshoot is that once you loosen and reinstall the cranks, it will be good for a certain number of miles.

If you have a competent bike shop/dealer and a good group of mechanics that understand this very fact, you are golden.  Unfortunately, the initial responses are always negative and it does take forever for the LBS to give you the benefit of the doubt.  What's funny is that you are the one that spends the most time on your bike and can clearly feel/hear everything that is going on during a ride, yet you are apparently, the least qualified to explain or highlight what is going on... drives me crazy, and it's the one reason I choose to do all my work.  I realize that approach does not work for everyone, so not strictly advocating for it, after all, there are great LBS/dealers/mechanics out there.  Hopefully, for the OP, hid dealer is able to come through... thanks for sharing your experience darkme8t!

• 06-09-2016 1:02 PM In reply to

I will stop to the Cervélo dealer this weekend. I wont be able to bring the bike, but i will talk to them and see if they can swap a crank fot a test. 

I just hope that not all the 3df are doing the same thing. 

As you said, it will be the best way to get it resolved. My lbs wasnt able to fit a 105 crank on it. Didnt had the parts needed.

I will keep you guys updated 

Thank you. 

• 06-22-2016 10:18 AM In reply to

Hi bobbob. Any updates? I am curious to hear whether or not you were able to swap out the cranksets.
  • 06-22-2016 11:08 AM In reply to

I did bring the bike to a dealer.

He found several little problems.

He said that the crank wasnt installed properly and that my bbinfinite module wasnt pushed in completely.

He pushed the module back in and reinstalled the crank.

Did a 50km ride last saturday without a single click.

Unfortunately, on my ride Sunday the clicking came back slightly.

And finally yesterday, its pretty much the same as it was.

Back to square one. 

• 06-22-2016 11:35 AM In reply to

• trex021
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-11-2013
    • Minneapolis
    • Posts 261

Have you tried swapping out the crank yet?

Have you used the Rotor tool to remove the drive side crank arm from the P2M spider and cleaned the interface?
  • 06-22-2016 12:57 PM In reply to

Just curious and apologies for not going back and reading all of the responses, but have you checked the chain ring bolts? I've had some issues myself with that making a slight creaking noise when riding and now on my S5, I have to actually go and replace at least one bolt that appears to be stripped.
    Jens Voigt doesn't complain about what suffering does to him, but suffering constantly complains about getting picked on by Jens Voigt.
  • 06-22-2016 1:46 PM In reply to

Still havent tried another crank.

Has for the powermeter, the clicking was there before the installation of the p2m spider.

trex021:
    Have you tried swapping out the crank yet?

Have you used the Rotor tool to remove the drive side crank arm from the P2M spider and cleaned the interface?

Still havent tried another crank. Next time I go to the dealer I will ask for it.

As for the powermeter, the clicking was there before the installation of the. 

• 06-22-2016 1:47 PM In reply to

cawright1375:
    Just curious and apologies for not going back and reading all of the responses, but have you checked the chain ring bolts? I've had some issues myself with that making a slight creaking noise when riding and now on my S5, I have to actually go and replace at least one bolt that appears to be stripped.

Yep, probably one of the first thing tried :-) 

• 06-22-2016 2:03 PM In reply to

• trex021
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-11-2013
    • Minneapolis
    • Posts 261

Did you install the P2M yourself? If you have the tool I'd definetly take the crank arm off and clean the interface. This guy, http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=128758#p1101907 sounds like he had the same issue and it was caused by stuff accumulating there.

IMO this could happen with the spider and then the P2M as debris accumulates.

If cleaning stops the clicking then Loctite Compounds 638 (spline) and 243 (lockring threads)
Page 3 of 7 (102 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.