in

R3 creaking.

Last post 07-05-2017 10:49 AM by MidTNBrad. 104 replies.
Page 4 of 7 (105 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-22-2016 6:34 PM In reply to

Re: R3 creaking.

trex021:
    Did you install the P2M yourself? If you have the tool I'd definetly take the crank arm off and clean the interface. This guy, http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=128758#p1101907 sounds like he had the same issue and it was caused by stuff accumulating there.

IMO this could happen with the spider and then the P2M as debris accumulates.

If cleaning stops the clicking then Loctite Compounds 638 (spline) and 243 (lockring threads)

The exact same noise was there before the p2m was installed.

• 06-22-2016 8:56 PM In reply to

• trex021
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-11-2013
    • Minneapolis
    • Posts 268

It's your bike and I'm just trying to help but I would not assume that changing from the spider to the P2M means that debris in the interface between the crank arm and the spider/P2M isn't the cause.

The smart money here thinks your crankset is the next logical test. If you have the lock ring tool you might save yourself a trip to the LBS and some begging for a loaner crank.
  • 06-22-2016 11:05 PM In reply to

trex021:
    It's your bike and I'm just trying to help but I would not assume that changing from the spider to the P2M means that debris in the interface between the crank arm and the spider/P2M isn't the cause.

The smart money here thinks your crankset is the next logical test. If you have the lock ring tool you might save yourself a trip to the LBS and some begging for a loaner crank.

I will get in touch again with the mechanic. We might be close to fing that creak as something he did stopped the sound  for about 50k.

• 06-25-2016 8:53 AM In reply to

• apwndwest
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-11-2014
    • Vancouver, British Columbia
    • Posts 260

I had a creak on my R3 a week ago. Took it to la bicycletta in Vancouver. They swapped out all parts related to isolating it and the last part was the crank set. Switched from the stock FSA crank to Shimano 105 with a new BB and creaks gone and the rides now as smooth as butter. Took one day to isolate. Not saying it's your crank set but that's what I found. Also my rear derailleur hangar was bent and needed straightening.
    2014 R3 (Hills bike)
    2012 Roubaix SL3 (Endurance bike)
  • 06-28-2016 10:12 PM In reply to

• mozmo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-21-2015
    • Posts 19

I have the occasional ticking, comes and goes based on temperature and how recently I greased my bearings/crank. My theory is that it's the interface between the bearing inner race and crank shaft, there is play/movement to create a metal on metal tick under hard efforts. Seems like others here have resolved the issue by installing a new crank with probably a slighter larger crankshaft than their previous one creating a snug fit. I'm planning to replace my rotor crank with a shimano one and use an adapter. If it goes away then it's pretty much that, since there will be no metal on metal contact with using the delrin adapter. I know my older shimano external cups used a plastic/rubber interface between the crank shaft and bearing race. It kinda makes sense.
  • 06-28-2016 10:25 PM In reply to

I'll be trying a crank swap this weekend.

If its really the crank, ill need to decide what ill do. Since i have both a bbinfinite an a power2max, I will need to stay with a rotor crank.

If its not the crank, than I will probably have to consider getting another bike and selling this one to someone deaf :-)

.I know this is ridiculous but my patience is getting low. It just kills my rides.

• 06-29-2016 1:10 AM In reply to

• apwndwest
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-11-2014
    • Posts 260

bobbob:

I'll be trying a crank swap this weekend.

If its really the crank, ill need to decide what ill do. Since i have both a bbinfinite an a power2max, I will need to stay with a rotor crank.

If its not the crank, than I will probably have to consider getting another bike and selling this one to someone deaf :-)

.I know this is ridiculous but my patience is getting low. It just kills my rides.

I think you will find it works out. I would try a shimano 105 with wheels manufacturing bb but nothing else and see if that fixes it. If it does sell the rotor and pm and get a shimano one and enjoy the bike. Regardless I hope you get it fixed ASAP.
    2014 R3 (Hills bike)
  • 07-02-2016 5:29 PM In reply to

Finally swapped the crank today.

Creaking gone for now, (parkign lot test)

I talked to someone at Cervelo and he told me that he has seen cases where the axle is undersized.

The correct measurement for the rotor 3df should be 29.99mm +-0.01mm at the bearing seat surface.

Mine was lower than that. The mechanic also noticed how easy it was to push the crank in or to remove it.

So, fingers crossed, but i think its the end of that damn creak.

• 07-02-2016 9:44 PM In reply to

• trex021
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-11-2013
    • Minneapolis
    • Posts 268

It will be worth every penny it takes! :)
  • 07-02-2016 10:44 PM In reply to

Great to hear!  Hope this nightmare ends for you. 

One question though... what crankset did you swap for?

• 07-02-2016 11:42 PM In reply to

Hutch:

Great to hear!  Hope this nightmare ends for you. 

One question though... what crankset did you swap for?

Rotor 3d30.

By great luck, one of the guys working at the shop bought a S3 2016 and swapped the crank for a shimano one.

So he sold me his crank at a good price. The people working at this shop are really great. Super helpful.

Best solution as I wont have to sell me power2max. 

• 07-03-2016 4:40 PM In reply to

Did a little ride this afternoon. About 90min.

Not a single creak.

• 07-04-2016 5:21 PM In reply to

• apwndwest
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-11-2014
    • Posts 260

bobbob:

Not a single creak.

Bet that felt good. Now you can go back to riding vs listening. :-)

2014 R3 (Hills bike)
  • 07-04-2016 5:51 PM In reply to

apwndwest:

bobbob:

Not a single creak.

Bet that felt good. Now you can go back to riding vs listening. :-)

That felt really good. That click was sapping my power :-)

• 07-17-2016 7:17 PM In reply to

Hi bobbob, Could you kindly give an update on this? I purchased an R3 this past May and I too have had a clicking sound while riding under pressure. I've removed all of the spider bolts, re-greased and re-torqued to specifications and it still persists. Also, I've tightened the pre-load ring on the NDS as I found there was some room to tighten it up. That didn't seem to help either. Has the popping/clicking for you ceased and stayed away with the new cranks? --Brad
    2016 R3 Ultegra Di2 61cm
    1999 Litespeed Tuscany Ultegra 61cm
Page 4 of 7 (105 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.