in

R3 creaking.

Last post 07-05-2017 10:49 AM by MidTNBrad. 104 replies.
Page 6 of 7 (105 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-22-2016 7:22 PM In reply to

Re: R3 creaking.

MidTNBrad:
    I e-mailed my LBS/Cervelo dealer explaining the problem, the steps I've taken and pointed out that members here on the forum have had to replace the cranks to get the problem to go away. I got this as my reply: "Bring it in. I will fix it. I pretty sure I have a simple solution." I'm hoping he's got a magic wand! --Brad

Hope you get it resolved soon. My guess is still the crank. If youre mechanic removes the crank, make it measure it with a caliper.

• 07-22-2016 7:25 PM In reply to

monk:
    Now I'm giving this a lot of thought. It seems intuitive that there's a tolerance problem between the shaft of the crank and the bearings - and it could be either part. This fits with a couple of clues: one, it's a tick, not a creak. Two: when I gobbed mine up with grease, it was gone for a while, but just a few hours, then it returned. So, one of my best friends is the plant manager of a local small machining factory that makes precision brass nozzles. He is letting me borrow a badass tool to do some measuring. I am trading him a few Allagash House Farmhouse Ales (unobtainable outside Portland ME). Let's see how well these parts are made. Stay tuned.

Youre right, its more a tick than a creak.

Pretty sure its your crank, since we have the same bike. Measure it with a caliper to have the confirmation.

• 07-27-2016 3:33 PM In reply to

Well, I took my R3 in to the shop on Monday and took it out for a 20 mile ride this morning. Totally quiet! It looks like they remove the crank, bottom bracket and bearings, cleaned everything, regreased, repressed and reinstalled the components. Any bets on how long this will last? --Brad
    2016 R3 Ultegra Di2 61cm
    1999 Litespeed Tuscany Ultegra 61cm
  • 07-27-2016 3:39 PM In reply to

Good to hear. If its the crank, it will come back soon. If not then you should be good.
  • 07-27-2016 3:43 PM In reply to

Until the grease wears away... That was the case with my crankset.
  • 07-27-2016 4:46 PM In reply to

• monk
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-15-2014
    • Miller
    • Posts 12

Updates from my process: first, the crank itself is indeed RIGHT ON SPEC. Measured with a micrometer at my buddy's factory, the aluminum shaft is indeed 29.99mm +/- 0.01mm at the bearing load points. BUT interesting to note, there is an unusual sign of wear on the shaft, in the bearing load area, on the chainring (drive) side. It's clearly wear, about 3mm wide, affecting about 1/3 of the surface - not all the way around. I have a picture of it, but I don't think there's an upload facility on this forum. If anyone cares, lemme know and I'll upload it to bikeforums.com. This may be a "smoking gun," gents, in that it signals that there is definitely some irregular cyclical motion going on here. Since the aluminum shaft measured well with the micrometer in about 15 directions, the bearing becomes my main point of suspicion. Theory #1 would be an irregularity on the bearing's inner surface, eg. not circular, thus creating a "slip" between the aluminum shaft and the inner bearing face, which provides one possible explanation for the worn spot on the shaft. Theory #2 is that the bearing is moving in the seat somewhat during heavy loading, and that just creates a "micro bang" on the shaft (our TICK sound) and this is leaving the mark. I TOOK THE CRANK to the LBS yesterday and talked with one of the mechs. He told me that Cervelo has provided them with GREEN LOCTITE, which is new to me. He suggested we first try reseating everything with the green loctite before swapping bearings. He's had success with other Pressfit BB's this way and feels pretty confident that this will solve. If not, we'll swap into new bearings. SO, we did that service today, and I'm going for a ride now. I'll give it about 100 miles before I declare victory or defeat, so stay tuned. Again.
    r3, p2k, swrx roubaix, trek820, mattel bigwheel w/ Di2.
  • 07-27-2016 4:58 PM In reply to

Great find Monk! Do you mind e-mailing me your picture of the shaft? I"ll send you a private message with my e-mail address. Thanks. --Brad
    2016 R3 Ultegra Di2 61cm
    1999 Litespeed Tuscany Ultegra 61cm
  • 07-28-2016 7:30 AM In reply to

• monk
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-15-2014
    • Miller
    • Posts 12

1 hour ride yesterday after "green loctite" job by LBS to provide firm seating for bearings. 1200' feet of climbing, 16.4 av mph. No ticks. Too early to declare victory, but good start. I'll give it four or five hours then report back, unless the metronome returns sooner...
  • 08-08-2016 4:11 PM In reply to

• monk
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-15-2014
    • Miller
    • Posts 12

OK, final update, and apparent success. Six rides, appx 110 miles. Lots of hills, lots of standing, lots of crappy asphalt, some "please don't flat me" potholes, even a bit of gravel. Everything but soaking rain. No tics, no creaks, no noise whatsoever. Hats off to Cody, a good wrench at High Gear Cyclery in Millburn NJ - I'm giving them another one in the "win column." To iterate, the conversation after he worked on it was something like - "Pulled everything out, there was no loctite anywhere. Applied green loctite all around, per Cervelo's advice." Of course, who knows if I'll ever get those bearings out again, but thank you skies above that that damned ticking metronome is finally gone. And I did not have to buy a single piece of new hardware.
  • 08-08-2016 6:07 PM In reply to

.... just to clarify, by GREEN Loctite u mean Loctite 609 which has a green label on the bottle? I ask only because "green threadock" Loctite is very different then Loctite 609 retaining compound and it is important that future readers of this forum not think that threadlock is going to hold their BBRight adapter cups in place. P.S. Allagash Farmhouse Ale is now available in NYC...good stuff, but not quite as good as Ommegang :)
  • 08-09-2016 9:16 AM In reply to

• monk
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-15-2014
    • Miller
    • Posts 12

no, I think we're tallking about Loctite 290. i'll confirm this with the LBS today, tho. stay tuned, thx. http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/industrial/product-search-1554.htm?nodeid=8797710385153
  • 08-10-2016 11:40 AM In reply to

• monk
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-15-2014
    • Miller
    • Posts 12

followup: LBS Mechanic used * Loctite 680 * ... http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/product-search-1554.htm?nodeid=8797928521729 and this continues to prove successful. Feedback from Cervelo tech support directed me to BBRight docs recommending Loctite 641. Based on my current experience, recommend the 680.
  • 09-04-2016 8:12 PM In reply to

• mozmo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-21-2015
    • Posts 19

I wonder if the crank tolerance issue is related to the difference in metal softness of using an aluminium crank shaft against a steel bearing. I still get the occasional tick on my S3 on the right side but it's been cold here and I have noticed the noise gets worse in warmer weather, probably due to heat expanding the bearing inner race. Shimano still use steel spindle for their cranks, which probably would wear against a metal bearing race, the same issue is seen on aluminium freehubs, steel cassettes, harder metal against softer one. I was planning to buy some Wheelsmfg shimano adapter cups and try it out with my durace crank from the other bike.
  • 09-06-2016 9:33 AM In reply to

• monk
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-15-2014
    • Miller
    • Posts 12

Buried above somewhere is one of my notes indicating that I don't think there's a tolerance issue. Measured in a machine shop, shaft was within the spec mentioned by another user. There is apparent wear, but it's very slight - more of a shiny spot, not a perceptible change in the surface. It's now been about a month after the "Green Loctite 680" treatment on the bearing seats by my LBS. Still no clicks, about 450 miles.
  • 09-15-2016 4:49 PM In reply to

Well in the spirit of keeping this thread alive I too am having this issue with my own bike... I am not kidding when I tell you I have taken it to the shop at least 10 times for a this stupid tick sound... I like my bike silent just want to hear the chain over the sprockets, if I want noise I will anger my wife and wind up the kids!  I advised them at this point I wanted a new bike I was fed up and demanded that they warranty the frame.

Fast forward to last night (this has been going on since June) they told me that the Wheels MFG BB would solve my issue being a man of principle the simple thought that I needed to spend 200 bucks to make something work as it should from factory is mind boggling.  I bitterly agreed and forked over the 200 bucks and was told no way it makes a sound, if it did they would refund me the BB and send the bike for replacement.

So I clip in for a ride last night  and the VERY FIRST THING I HEAR IS THE STUPID TICK!!!!!!!! IRRATE I TEXT MY SHOP THE SECOND IT HAPPENED.... They told me warranty last night and today they are telling me we will try and replace the crank. I fully trust my mechanic, he is the best dam mech in the city far and above, heck he used to build the bikes for Cervelo at head office!!!!!!!!!.... there is no way he messed this up 10 times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going there tonight with the bike getting my refund on the BB and will let them change the crank over (even though we have already calipered it and it measured at 29.99mm (different manager at the time it was calipered)  once the crank is in I want it seated with the regular PF30 BB not that I don't like the wheels MFG but I have several PF30 bikes (all cervelos) and they make no noise.... if I want to spend 200 dollars that should be my choice can you imagine buying a car then having to buy something else to make it work right, makes me batty!

I will keep you guys updated and mention this Loctite 680 

2011 S3
    2011 R3 (Warrantied)
    2014 R3
    Garmin 800(RIP)
    Garmin 1000
    2014 Beyond the Forum Rider
Page 6 of 7 (105 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next >
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.