in

R3 creaking.

Last post 07-05-2017 10:49 AM by MidTNBrad. 104 replies.
Page 7 of 7 (105 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-16-2016 12:48 AM In reply to

• Don
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-24-2014
    • Kansas City, Mo
    • Posts 301

Re: R3 creaking.

Good luck! I hope it works out!
    2015 COR participant
    2015 S3 Sram Red 11 Speed
    2015 R2 Sram Red 11 Speed
    2013 P5 Dura Ace Di2 11 Speed
    2009 S1 Sram Red 10 speed (sold)
  • 09-16-2016 10:38 AM In reply to

Update"

We changed the crank thinks don't to date

2 pairs or shoes

New BB

Checked Cassette lock ring

spec'd all bolts

changed crank.

diff pedals

the shop is tossing in the towel its going back to Cervelo.

:( 

2011 S3
    2011 R3 (Warrantied)
    2014 R3
    Garmin 800(RIP)
    Garmin 1000
    2014 Beyond the Forum Rider
  • 09-16-2016 10:57 AM In reply to

• apwndwest
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-11-2014
    • Vancouver, British Columbia
    • Posts 244

Somewhat related story.

1. I had the stupid creak/tick and went to La Bicyletta in Vancouver. Only authorized dealer for Ceervelo in town and an enthusiast proffessional bunch there. I to swapped out to a Wheels Mfg BB and also switched out the FSA crankset for a Shimano 105 for $400. Runs quiet now but now on my last ride i have a very quiet squeak starting. Love the bike but am wondering why all the hassle at the BB/crankset level. I have swapped out two BB's in two years now.

2. Looking for a winter bike last week I bought a "used" Specialized Roubaix SL3 from a girl who's Saudi boyfriend bought for her then left to go back to Saudi. Its was to big for her as its a 56.5 and shes tiny. I "stole" the bike paying her $1000. Caps (LBS here) said its worth $2500 with not a scratch and full Ultegra end to end.Had two rides and its a superb machine and with the Zerts technology its so smooth and comfortable. It also is quite stiff so putting on the power is no problem. There is no noise from the BB and its quiet to ride as you say GLG.

So my "beater purchase" for a winter bike has put me in a position where I have two very good bikes. I now however have to see why the R3 is quietly speaking ion the BB area. Its seems that Cervelo has some chronic problems with the BB and crankset area which for me has cost me $700 over two years. Love the R3 but now with this Specialized I am wondering which is my winter bike and which is my "goto" summer bike.

Gaah!

2014 R3 (Hills bike)
    2012 Roubaix SL3 (Endurance bike)
  • 09-17-2016 2:36 PM In reply to

Goleafsgo5:

Update"

We changed the crank thinks don't to date

2 pairs or shoes

New BB

Checked Cassette lock ring

spec'd all bolts

changed crank.

diff pedals

the shop is tossing in the towel its going back to Cervelo.

:( 

I don't see "BBRight cups installed with Loctite 609 or stronger" on the list...was this ever attempted?

• 09-18-2016 8:48 PM In reply to

• monk
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-15-2014
    • Miller
    • Posts 12

Update: almost two months after green loctite job, still no more ticking. Ref my post in July.
    r3, p2k, swrx roubaix, trek820, mattel bigwheel w/ Di2.
  • 09-19-2016 12:35 AM In reply to

• goodboyr
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-16-2007
    • Thornhill, Ontario
    • Posts 942

And if you're not sure they used the right stuff, as em3 says, bring it over to me. I've got both kinds of loctite, the activator and the right tools. So far, all my cervelo builds are noise free, and I've done a bunch. You know where to find me, glfg3.....
    Bobbo
    2015 COR
    '06 R3, Fully Internal Dura Ace 7970, Zipp 303FC Clinchers
    S5 Team, Ultegra Di2, Zipp 101
    RCA 56cm, Dura Ace 9070, Zipp 404 FC Tubbies

• 10-03-2016 11:39 AM In reply to

Here's an update: Since 7/27/16 and 850 miles later I'm still creak free! Here's to hoping it stays that way. --Brad
    2016 R3 Ultegra Di2 61cm
    1999 Litespeed Tuscany Ultegra 61cm
  • 05-04-2017 10:15 PM In reply to

Hi everyone: There was a recent post about no activity on the forum, so I thought I’d shake things up again. :) I reported above that the clicking on my 2016 R3 with the OEM Rotor 3D30 went away after a lube job, but it came back shortly after I make my last post above. I ended up talking to different Cervelo dealer here in town (different from the place where originally purchased my bike) and they said that they have had great success with BBInfinite and that they would suggest installing that, which I had them do. Same song different verse: clicks stayed away for a few of rides but it came back with a vengeance two days ago. So, I’m back to square one. Today I went to Cervelo’s customer support message area on their web site, explained my situation, explained that several people on the forum here have had the same ticking issue that is only resolved with swapping out the crankset, linked to this thread and asked if they have an official stance on the matter. I believe that if the OEM Rotor cranksets have known issues and a known fix is to swap out the cranks then I’d like that to be covered by Cervelo or Rotor. To be fair, I have not followed up with either of the Cervelo dealers in town on this matter. The place where I purchased the bike and did the follow-up pull, clean, reinstall and re-grease don’t know I’m having the popping again and I haven’t followed up with the shop that installed the BBInfinite yet. I’ll give a few days for Cervelo to respond but if I don’t hear from them I’ll be back in touch with my original dealer.
    2016 R3 Ultegra Di2 61cm
  • 05-05-2017 12:31 PM In reply to

I received a response from Cervelo this morning and they suggest that I work with my dealer for a warranty claim with Rotor. That's my next step.
    2016 R3 Ultegra Di2 61cm
  • 05-06-2017 8:32 AM In reply to

MidTNBrad:
    I received a response from Cervelo this morning and they suggest that I work with my dealer for a warranty claim with Rotor. That's my next step.

I was in your situation last year, I was able to get a brand new rotor 3d+ in replacement for the creaking rotor 3df crank.

I called the rotor reseller in my area and they told me to contact a Cervelo dealer.

So, i was able to get a replacement for a bike that was not even under warranty and that wasnt bought at that shop :-)

• 05-15-2017 3:08 PM In reply to

Hi Everyone, Here’s an update: I took my bike into my dealer today and we removed the crank. We’re seeing the same thing that @monk found showing some wear on the crank side. Here’s a link: https://goo.gl/photos/2DqSzsJoGc8Z1AiT7 Notice the score mark between the flutes where the shaft interfaces with the crank and where the shaft rides on the bearing. The score mark only goes ½ way around the shaft so that seems to be where the clicking is coming from. My dealer is going to contact Rotor for a warranty claim.
    2016 R3 Ultegra Di2 61cm
  • 05-22-2017 9:09 AM In reply to

• monk
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-15-2014
    • Miller
    • Posts 12

Another long-term update: STILL a fan of the "green loctite" fix that I've detailed earlier in this post. I'd estimate 97% effectiveness, since there are still a very few situations when I get a few click noises. Start of ride sometimes, but goes away after a minute or so. Heavy heavy loading, like aggressive passing on a hill climb. Otherwise, totally click-noise free from the BB. I speculate that it's simply that the factory installs on the bearings just aren't adequately seated, and any associated movement of the bearings results in these clicks, squeaks, groans and even the shaft scoring some have found. If the bearing seats are slightly too "forgiving," it may also explain some of the problems appearing with aftermarket replacements. To quote from earlier post: LBS Mechanic used * Loctite 680 * ... http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/product-search-1554.htm?nodeid=8797928521729 and this continues to prove successful. Feedback from Cervelo tech support directed me to BBRight docs recommending Loctite 641. Based on my current experience, recommend the 680.
    r3, p2k, swrx roubaix, trek820, mattel bigwheel w/ Di2.
  • 06-02-2017 12:52 PM In reply to

Picked my bike up from my LBS/Cervelo dealer late yesterday afternoon. Rotor sent a new 3D+ crankset with their MAS spider as a warranty replacement for my stock 3D30. I'll try to get some miles in this weekend to test it out. Fingers crossed this will fix the ticking!
    2016 R3 Ultegra Di2 61cm
  • 07-03-2017 10:21 AM In reply to

• apwndwest
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-11-2014
    • Vancouver, British Columbia
    • Posts 244

Re: R3 creaking. Seat post length

Just a note. About 4 months ago replaced my bb with a wheels manufacturing bb. Two weeks ago replaced a bearing to get rid of a tick. Then had full on creaking. Turns out my seat post was to long and cut it down to 110mm and no creak any more completely silent. Frame torque and post length caused the creak. Just something to file away for your creak source list. This is not a new source but the cause of mine this time. Hoorah 👍🙏
    2014 R3 (Hills bike)
    2012 Roubaix SL3 (Endurance bike)
  • 07-05-2017 10:49 AM In reply to

Another semi-long term update: The switch to the 3D+ Rotor crank fixed the tick. I've put on about 450 miles since the swap and its been smooth and silent! No hassles from my Cervelo dealer or Rotor. I'm thankful to them both!
    2016 R3 Ultegra Di2 61cm
Page 7 of 7 (105 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.