in

R3 Campy Crank BBright Question

Last post 09-18-2018 7:01 AM by philm. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-26-2016 3:54 PM

• philm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-22-2016
    • Posts 6

R3 Campy Crank BBright Question

Hi, I have a 2013 R3 with Campy 11 Chorus Ultra torqre (UT) components except FSA crank. I already had purchased the Campy crank at the time I got the R3, but was informed by Cervelo that they recommended FSA crank instead, so that is what is installed on the R3. I would prefer the Campy crank if at all possible, but I dont want creaking issues. Based on my understanding Cervelo BBRight and Campy are no longer "certified". I did some research and came across the C-Bear bottom bracket: https://www.c-bear.com/en/products/bottom-bracket/bbright-cervelo-campagnolo-ultra-torque I am guessing around $150 to buy and another $150 to install so it is not a cheap fix. I would hate to order the BB, get it installed, only to find out it doesnt work well, so I go back to FSA crank, which of course would be a frustrating waste of time and money. I did a search in the forums and didnt see any posting, although I could've just missed it. Anybody out there using it? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks, Phil
  • 07-26-2016 4:19 PM In reply to

• philm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-22-2016
    • Posts 6

Re: R3 Campy Crank BBright Question

Here is the correct URL for C-Bear: https://www.c-bear.com/en/products/bottom-bracket/bbright-cervelo-campagnolo-ultra-torque
  • 07-26-2016 5:27 PM In reply to

I have the campy UT BB installed on my r5 with a campy crank. Follow the instructions for installing cups with loctite. I have been creak free since day 1.
  • 07-27-2016 7:50 AM In reply to

• GT1
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-26-2008
    • Posts 934

have a look at bbinfinite

• 07-27-2016 12:37 PM In reply to

• philm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-22-2016
    • Posts 6

Hi arim12b32 and GT1, Thank you both for your responses! The one big advantage of C-Bear over BBInfinite as well as the Campy BB is that the C-Bear doesnt use any loctite or spacers. So far I have not found anybody that seems to have used the C-Bear BB, although I emailed C-Bear and they of course told me that they have a lot of European users. ;-) Additionally I contacted a custom bike shop in Boulder Co, that recommended C-Bear. ( I am not mentioning the name of the bike shop since I dont think they want me to, but let me just say they have awesome mechanics there! I would take my Cervelo there, but I live in Ohio! ) I wonder if anybody from Cervelo would be able to comment!
  • 09-17-2016 2:32 PM In reply to

• Butch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-07-2016
    • Southern Maine Foothills
    • Posts 54

Looks like Cervelo is not commenting much. Do they look at their own forum?
    2015 R2 fun (climbing and all around) bike, upgraded some to become just a hair lighter in 2016 (it was an orphan leftover at the LBS). Glad I picked it up.
    Step 1: Lighter wheels... done! 1342g, down from 2000g
    Step 2: Fabric Line 142mm saddle w/titanium rails
  • 09-17-2016 2:48 PM In reply to

• philm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-22-2016
    • Posts 6

Ya, I agree, it has been a while and no response from Cervelo. :(

When I contacted C-Bear, they told me their BB solution for Cervelo BBRight is quite common in Europe, however, I have no way to verify. 

Cervelo: Any comments please?

• 09-17-2016 3:08 PM In reply to

Cervélo has rarely commented on the forum about BBs, especially since the proliferation of PressFit BBs and many manufacturers bringing their own version to the market.  They did many years ago when BBright was brought to the market and options were limited.  In my opinion, by now, I believe they are assuming enough technical data/info/customer support is supplied to the consumer in order to make the right choice.

Having said that, if C-Bear told you their BB solution is common (basically compatible), why wouldn't you take them at their own word? 

They are labeling it as a BBright compatible BB, so obviously, they are at least aware what BBright's dimensions are.  Furthermore, they have a chart, which I'm assuming took some time to develop, pointing again at the Campy BBright option they list.  http://www.c-bear.com/bbchart.pdf

• 09-17-2016 3:27 PM In reply to

• philm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-22-2016
    • Posts 6

Hi Hutch, Thank you for the reply! Appreciate it! Let me try to explain ... it is not per se that I dont trust C-Bear. I think it is a case of "Trust but verify!" I guess the reason why I dont take them at their word is due to the cost of the BB as well as the installation costs. And in the case that it doesnt work. I would be out a lot of money and nothing to show for it except aggravation. :( Additionally, I dont live in Europe, and I dont think there are many mechanics locally here that have any C-Bear experience. I am not a bike mechanic myself, so I would have to rely on an experienced mechanic here. Maybe it is easier to install a BB than I assume it is, but I have no clue how much it would cost to install the BB. Also, I am not interested in C-Bear for their ceramic bearing per se ... I just want a BB that works with Campy and BBRight. If a representative from Cervelo confirmed it was a viable solution, then I think I would proceed. Thanks again, Phil
  • 09-17-2016 4:02 PM In reply to

philm, therein lies the problem and the answer to why Cervélo doesn't comment on BBs, especially since they are not in the business of manufacturing them. The forum and user experience has always served as a source for answers that vary in technical level and across the range of bikes... unfortunately, in this case, I don't ever recall someone using C-Bear, I could be wrong though.

The one time I purchased a rather expensive ceramic BB, there was an oversight/error by the manufacturer (Enduro w/ the PF TorqTite), essentially, their inner connecting threaded sleeve was too short to connect the two cups and the threads of one of the cups would not reach the one end of the sleeve.  Long story short, they were reached by two of us here on the forum that purchased the product, they followed up with our concerns and actually sent us a new inner sleeve specifically machined to be adequately sufficient for BBright's 79mm wide BB shell.

My point is, if you purchase C-Bear's BB, you know exactly who to follow up with your concerns, and if they claim their product is compatible, then they should stand by their claim no matter what.  I realize they are in Europe and that creates logistical nightmares, but that's the way it is sometimes.

I will add this though, they may claim a lot of things:  https://www.c-bear.com/en/why-c-bear ,but keep in mind, the BB is only a third of the system, frame and crankset are the others, so there are no real guarantees since any of the three may have the slightest bit of tolerance discrepancy affecting the system in terms of proper and noise free function. 

Lastly, I will leave you with this piece of technical info Cervélo did provide: http://bbright.net/BBrightTM-Press-Fit-Instructions.pdf  It is the only piece of advice that 'most' here on the forum do stand behind, mainly due to successful results.  Just keep it in mind, in case you do purchase C-Bear's BB and it doesn't yield a noise free experience... hope that helps and good luck!

• 09-21-2016 1:36 AM In reply to

• fradbut
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-31-2012
    • Brighton, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1

Just ordered a BBinfinite for R5,BBright. Going to post it's install, thoughts and review when it arrives.
    fradbut
  • 09-22-2016 12:07 AM In reply to

• Butch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-07-2016
    • Southern Maine Foothills
    • Posts 54

Look forward to hearing how it goes in and how it performs!
    2015 R2 fun (climbing and all around) bike, upgraded some to become just a hair lighter in 2016 (it was an orphan leftover at the LBS). Glad I picked it up.
    Step 1: Lighter wheels... done! 1342g, down from 2000g
    Step 2: Fabric Line 142mm saddle w/titanium rails
  • 09-18-2018 7:01 AM In reply to

• philm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-22-2016
    • Posts 6

I know it has been a while but I just wanted to provide an update.

I did order the C-bear bottom bracket along with their ceramic bearings and I took my R3 to a local bike shop where they charged me around $25 to install it, including removing the FSA crank and installing the Campy crank! ( I ordered directly from the C-bear website.)

I wanted to wait to see the results before posting. I have ridden about 400 miles so far. The C-bear BB is working great! The crank definitely spins easier and there has been zero creaking issues! I was a little concerned thinking that the C-bear cups were a (2) piece plastic rather than a one piece metal construction, but as I stated it has performed great so far!

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.