in

Upgrades to my new S2

Last post 01-29-2017 5:56 PM by Allanj. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-28-2017 11:26 AM

Upgrades to my new S2

I bought a new 2016 S2 late last summer and I'm extremely happy with it. However I'm thinking of 2 upgrades that'll probably give me even more riding joy. The most obvious would be the wheels as the Shimanos RS010 isn't exactly up to standard with the rest of the bike. I've been looking at these https://www.swissside.com/products/hadron-485?variant=31293023114 . Does anyone have any experience of them? Or is there any other set that might be comparable at the same price point (€1200) that i should take into consideration. The other upgrade/add on I'm thinking of is a power meter. As I have the support of a PM on the spinning bike on which i do most of my winter training I've started to realize the benifits, and think I'll have use of one on the bike as well. As the bike is equiped with a Rotor crank set i've been looking at their INPower solution. It's not very expensive but will give me what i'm looking for i think. Any experiences/thoughts about it? What will i need to install it with the existing crank set? As my current computer doesn't have ANT compability i'll need a new one there as well. I won't really need GPS or anything that comes with those. What i need is a basic computer that gives me the basic data plus the ANT connection to be able to connect to the PM, any suggestions? Thanks in advance! Thomas
  • 01-29-2017 9:22 AM In reply to

• Allanj
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-24-2014
    • Edinburgh, Scotland
    • Posts 33

Re: Upgrades to my new S2

The Power meter allows you to upgrade your fitness more than anything else but would require a training plan and time to do it etc.  The InPower would work well with your bike, other crank based ones would need BB adaptors etc.  A Pedal based meter would be worth looking at- Garmin Vector or Powertap.

The Swiss Side wheels are meant to be pretty good, the Mavic Cosmic Pro range would also be worth a look:  https://shop.mavic.com/en-gb/cosmic-pro-carbon-rr0824.html.  I've just put a set of the exalith ones on my bike and they are stunning!

• 01-29-2017 12:32 PM In reply to

• Don
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-24-2014
    • Kansas City, Mo
    • Posts 290

I have a S3 with HED Jet 6+ rims. They are AWESOME. On the Jet + line... The Brake surface is 25mm wide and the ride on them... IMHO.. second to none. You can run much lower air pressures with these and the rolling resistance with the wider tire (I run a 23mm Continental 4000 SII... That on a 25mm rim actually measures 27.42mm) The HED Jet 6+ is out of your budget but the HED ARDENNES LT+ are not at 900.00 US.

To be fair... I am a HED dealer. But... I owned 2 sets of Jet+ HED's before I became a dealer. I was so impressed with them as a consumer. I became a dealer for them. The picture of my P5 is the way they come now with the Black decals.

There is a lot of videos on the net talking about the benefits of lower pressures. (In fact HED has a 100 PSI Max limit labeled on the wheels.)

My S3 now has a Quarq powermeter. The P5 came with it. There is a member here that has a Stages that I met at COR. He really likes it. I would have gone that way but Stages does not make one for the FSA crank I was using. I am very fond of the pedal system I have so the pedal system Power meter's were not an option for me.

I think both of the options to upgrade are great choices. Good luck with the project!

IMG_1539

IMG_1789

2015 COR participant
    2015 S3 Sram Red 11 Speed
    2013 P5 Dura Ace Di2 11 Speed
    2009 S1 Sram Red 10 speed (sold)
  • 01-29-2017 12:43 PM In reply to

• Allanj
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-24-2014
    • Edinburgh, Scotland
    • Posts 33

The HEDs are great wheels but very different to the Swissides being considered- I'm assuming the OP is looking from something deep section to compliment the S series frame?

• 01-29-2017 12:57 PM In reply to

• Don
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-24-2014
    • Kansas City, Mo
    • Posts 290

For my S3 I bought my HED Jet 6+ "on the bay" as a take off from a S5. I paid less than $850.00. There is a Black set right now for $1200.00. They are 60mm deep.... Just like mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hed-Jet-6-Plus-Black-700c-Brand-new-shimano-11sp-/282341637296?hash=item41bcdf7cb0:g:LvYAAOSwOtdYUGMN

2015 COR participant
    2015 S3 Sram Red 11 Speed
    2013 P5 Dura Ace Di2 11 Speed
    2009 S1 Sram Red 10 speed (sold)
  • 01-29-2017 1:12 PM In reply to

• Allanj
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-24-2014
    • Edinburgh, Scotland
    • Posts 33

The OP is talking euros so Ebay from the states maybe not so great.  Mavic's are €1100 (€1300 for the exaliths- worth it) from a dealer with 3 year warranty etc.  Deals to be found too: https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/mavic-cosmic-pro-carbone-17-pr-m-25-wts-wheelset-583614/wg_id-216

Just make sure it's the 2017 model if you look at them- they are wider with a better profile than previous models

• 01-29-2017 1:35 PM In reply to

Nice, I have the 2015 Cervelo S2 (black with blue lettering). I bought it as a close-out midway through last season and the LBS had already upgraded the components to full Ultegra so it was a nice bonus. I love the bike, seriously it is awesome. I then changed the wheelset to the Mavic Cosmic Carbone 40 which has been so good too and then just swapped the crankset to FSA SL-K full carbon from FSA Gossamer at the end of last year, because I want to get the left arm Pioneer PM on it for next season. This is the link for the Mavic wheels. No complaints, I got them as a demo pair from a dealer for $1400CAD https://shop.mavic.com/en-ca/cosmic-carbone-40-elite-rr0848.html IMO, I would definitely look to change the wheels, there are a lot of good options in your price point. Next, maybe consider a small component upgrade. The 105 drivetrain is probably good, but swapping out the Tektro brakes to 105 spec may provide a boost in performance. https://goo.gl/photos/qW9SNyLr5kvzBgoQ6 (pictured with old crankset)
  • 01-29-2017 1:38 PM In reply to

weird formatting on this board, no paragraph breaks/spaces and how can i attach pictures?? thanks in advance, i'm a newbie here :)
  • 01-29-2017 2:11 PM In reply to

• Allanj
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-24-2014
    • Edinburgh, Scotland
    • Posts 33

kjivraj:
    weird formatting on this board, no paragraph breaks/spaces and how can i attach pictures?? thanks in advance, i'm a newbie here :)

I've not tried it, have a look here though:  https://forums.cervelo.com/forums/ForumPictures.aspx

• 01-29-2017 2:32 PM In reply to

Allanj:

The Power meter allows you to upgrade your fitness more than anything else but would require a training plan and time to do it etc.  The InPower would work well with your bike, other crank based ones would need BB adaptors etc.  A Pedal based meter would be worth looking at- Garmin Vector or Powertap.

The Swiss Side wheels are meant to be pretty good, the Mavic Cosmic Pro range would also be worth a look:  https://shop.mavic.com/en-gb/cosmic-pro-carbon-rr0824.html.  I've just put a set of the exalith ones on my bike and they are stunning!

Thanks for the input, The Mavic wheels seems to be sinilar in quality and actually a bit cheaper, found them for under €1000 at wiggle.com. How are they in cross winds? I'm so pleased with my pedal system (Time Expresso) that I'm reluctant to switch them to something else.
  • 01-29-2017 2:49 PM In reply to

• Allanj
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-24-2014
    • Edinburgh, Scotland
    • Posts 33

Thomas Kolmodin:
    Allanj:

Thanks for the input, The Mavic wheels seems to be sinilar in quality and actually a bit cheaper, found them for under €1000 at wiggle.com. How are they in cross winds? I'm so pleased with my pedal system (Time Expresso) that I'm reluctant to switch them to something else.

I have only had one short ride on mine so far so can't say from experience, but am told that one of benefits of the new wider rims and blunter profiles is better handling in crosswinds than previous designs.  At the end of the crosswinds are going to be a potential issue for any deep section wheel, current designs like these are meant to be a big step forward compared to previous designs.  I have kept my old kysriums for now (I was thinking of selling to help pay for the cosmics) until I've seen how I get on with them- it can get pretty windy here in Scotland, I'm fairly heavy though (83kg) so hoping I'll be OK. 

If you're keeping your pedals then a crank based system is what you are looking at and the inpower is probably the one that makes the most sense and is much the same price as other systems.  You could justify (!) it on the basis that the FSA chainset is not the best and a potential upgrade area in itself- i have a Rotor 3D30 and love it.  Picture here (a spacer removed from below the stem since then ;-) ), sorry it's not the best pic: