in

Don't want to cut the steerer on my 2016 R3..

Last post 03-20-2017 7:13 AM by brown_ma. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-02-2017 11:33 AM

Don't want to cut the steerer on my 2016 R3..

Hi I'm presently riding my 2016 R3 with the stem slammed. I haven't measured exactly how many mm of a spacer stack I have above the stem but its probably getting on for 50 mm, perhaps slightly less. Thing is, for potential re-sale purposes, I don't want to cut the steerer down. I know it looks aesthetically bad but I don't want to do it. My question is does running that many spacers above the stem create any structural issues I need to be concerned about?? Thanks in advance.
  • 03-02-2017 4:49 PM In reply to

Re: Don't want to cut the steerer on my 2016 R3..

I've just checked and there's actually 40 mm of spacers above the stem. Apart from not looking great, is this ok?? Thanks
  • 03-02-2017 11:24 PM In reply to

• MaartenH
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-21-2016
    • Sydney
    • Posts 4

As far as I know the only problems it can cause is that you'll get a fine from the style police
  • 03-14-2017 9:52 AM In reply to

• m66
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-29-2014
    • Posts 31

In general, a slammed stem is safer than one with a bunch of spacers underneath. Adding spacers underneath creates more leverage on your steerer during out of the saddle efforts, but Cervelo does allow for 50mm total below the stem, 35mm of spacers and 15mm of bearing cover.. The thing i would be concerned about is, what is your stem clamping on to? In a normal install, (meaning no steerer above the stem), the aluminum insert is glued, and the stem then clamps onto that reinforced area of the steerer. Even skipping the insert, you'd still have an expander in there to clamp onto. In your case, I'm assuming the insert isn't glued, because that would prohibit ever cutting the fork down, which would be even worse for resale. So, I would check to see how far down the expander goes. I use Cannondale SI expanders and they def don't reach down 40mm..I wouldn't feel safe clamping onto unsupported steerer....
  • 03-14-2017 11:59 AM In reply to

Thanks for your reply. I'm not too sure how long the insert is although I've read elsewhere that the cervelo stock insert is 75mm. I don't know if anyone can verify that..If true though, since it sits flush with the top of the surrounding carbon, I would be concerned that at least part of the stem clamps on to unsupported carbon but I'd need to know the length of the insert to be certain. Guess I can't measure it if its glued in...
  • 03-14-2017 11:07 PM In reply to

• m66
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-29-2014
    • Posts 31

Ah it's already glued in...because I'm pretty sure the insert is supposed to go below the level of the upper bearing, so I would imagine it's long enough to actually do that, and give full coverage on the stem. So I don't think you'll have any worries as far as clamping goes. And apparently you can slide the nut further down the insert if you or the next owner decided to cut the steerer, so you're okay there too.
  • 03-16-2017 6:37 PM In reply to

• goodboyr
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-16-2007
    • Thornhill, Ontario
    • Posts 950

brown_ma:
    Thanks for your reply. I'm not too sure how long the insert is although I've read elsewhere that the cervelo stock insert is 75mm. I don't know if anyone can verify that..If true though, since it sits flush with the top of the surrounding carbon, I would be concerned that at least part of the stem clamps on to unsupported carbon but I'd need to know the length of the insert to be certain. Guess I can't measure it if its glued in...
    Here's a pic from the actual kit that comes with each Cervelo. 75mm is correct!
    Bobbo
    2015 COR
    '06 R3, Fully Internal Dura Ace 7970, Zipp 303FC Clinchers
    S5 Team, Ultegra Di2, Zipp 101
    RCA 56cm, Dura Ace 9070, Zipp 404 FC Tubbies

• 03-17-2017 1:41 PM In reply to

And Bobbo comes through again! I know of zero issues with spacers on top the stem its a ton of them under it I would fine you, you buy the coffee at the rest stop for it but it will not harm the bike.

Ride on!  

2011 S3
    2011 R3 (Warrantied)
    2014 R3
    Garmin 800(RIP)
    Garmin 1000
    2014 Beyond the Forum Rider
  • 03-20-2017 7:13 AM In reply to

Appreciate all replies. For the time being, I've put 10 mm underneath the stem as I reckon that will ensure that the entire stem clamp is supported by the insert. When totally slammed, I'm not sure that it is which makes no sense at all but there you have it!
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.