in

Lemons

Last post 04-19-2017 8:30 AM by cawright1375. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-09-2017 7:12 AM

Lemons

Last spring I stripped my Specialized Crux of it's Apex wi-fli gruppo and put it on my R3. All year long the FD would occasionally throw the chain off the big ring when shifting. By this I mean every 1 out of 10 shifts, but I got used to it and always knew I could fix it, but I just chose to ride it that way. This spring I had a Rotor 3D+ crank installed and had new FSA chainrings installed as well. New chain & cassette too. And here is the issue that is now causing a bit of confusion between 4 different mechanics. The Apex FD (pre-yaw) is now either not shifting the chain or throwing it off still. Now I know there are those of you out there saying right now that the mechs are not that good, find someone else, yada, yada, yada. And normally I would agree, but I did a Google search last night and while I know it's easy to be affirmed via the internet, there was a thread I found which makes me think that the model year Crux I had, had a bit of lemon when it came to the FD. I didn't Google Specialized Crud FD issues. I googled SRAM Apex FD issues and found a thread where a comment mention the FD on the Crux. SO I think I recall complaints about SRAM FDs pre yaw. Am I correct in that? Having once sold high end jewelry I understand how cost means nothing, because even the nicest, most expensive item can be a lemon, or to put it another way, you & your neighbor can have the same model car, you have no issues, theirs is in the garage each week. Okay that out of the way am I correct in remembering SRAM FD issues of not shifting good etc? A new FD is on order and that ought to solve it I hope. Anyway, low 60s today in NH, Paris Roubaix Live and a planned 40 miler so it's all good.
    Jens Voigt doesn't complain about what suffering does to him, but suffering constantly complains about getting picked on by Jens Voigt.
  • 04-13-2017 12:13 PM In reply to

Re: Lemons

cawright1375 I believe that the earlier (non yaw) Sram FD's had issues due to a lack of stiffness. Many people I believe used a Ultegra FD or other options (the Sram Red pre yaw were often replaced with Force FD's) to improve their front shifting. You could use a new Red yaw FD even though you do not use the yaw function. Also I've have a FSA SLK-light compact crankset (2011) which I had on a 2011 R3 then 2011 S5 and now on a S3. It never shifted smoothly or consistently until I replaced the rings with Praxis. Never any issues since. I'm not an expert on FD's but thats the little I know.
    COR Co-organizer 2015
    2010 Cannondale Rush MTB
    Kona Jake The Snake Cross bike
    2011 Cervelo R3 Red - sold
    2013 Cervelo S5 Red
    2014 Cervelo S3 Red 22
  • 04-14-2017 7:25 AM In reply to

Rider2- Sadly the Yaw FDs will not work with the non Yaw Shifters. My Red FD cracked and was initially replaced last year by a new Red Yaw FD and then had to be swapped out for a Force because the Yaw didn't work quite right. I've had good luck (knock wood) with FSA rings on both my R3 & S5 using the Rotor 3D+ crank.
    Jens Voigt doesn't complain about what suffering does to him, but suffering constantly complains about getting picked on by Jens Voigt.
  • 04-15-2017 11:14 AM In reply to

• Don
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-24-2014
    • Kansas City, Mo
    • Posts 301

FYI... I have a Giant with Red 10 speed. I have a YAW FD.... It works great!
    2015 COR participant
    2015 S3 Sram Red 11 Speed
    2015 R2 Sram Red 11 Speed
    2013 P5 Dura Ace Di2 11 Speed
    2009 S1 Sram Red 10 speed (sold)
  • 04-17-2017 8:41 AM In reply to

The planned upgrade to Red 22 wi-fli on the R3 hopefully happens late this summer/ early fall and I am so looking forward to the YAW FD.
  • 04-18-2017 9:56 AM In reply to

My understanding is that it was only red-level FD's that had an issue. I think it was 2012 where Sram experimented with a Titanium FD. I had one and the shifting was terrible as the cage flexed under load. The most common fix was to "downgrade" to a rival or force FD which were made of steel. Eventually Sram reverted to a steel Red level FD. I found the problem negated by switching to the steel cage. I have not heard of any wide-scale issues with Sram FD besides the well-known Red Ti issue.
  • 04-19-2017 8:30 AM In reply to

Thanks to a Google search I did find some more information that was pertinent to my question. Just searching on SRAM Apex FD issues, I found a thread where the exact model year Specialized Crux that the Apex came off of was mentioned by several folks and they all had problems shifting it onto the big ring. Most of the complaints were it would throw the chain off and that no amount of fine tuning seemed to help. So maybe it was a bad batch or something. Either way the new FD is going on this weekend, but was interesting to see that model Specialized mentioned specifically without specifically searching for that bike. And now back to the Tour of the Alps stage 3 final 4km....
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.