in

2009 Cervelo S2 Bottom Bracket Removal

Last post 07-31-2017 12:55 PM by Kronan. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-13-2017 3:53 AM

2009 Cervelo S2 Bottom Bracket Removal

G'day all, Looking for a bit of advice from the forum and possibly a Cervelo rep. I have a 2009 Cervelo S2 with Ultegra 6600SL from the factory and recently I have gone on a quest to reduce some weight. I have purchased a Sram red groupset which means I have to remove the old groupset including the shimano bottom bracket. Here is the hitch, it seems the shimano bottom bracket which is the original that came with the bike is stuck. Not even a 60cm breaker bar can do it. What is the recommended course of action? Spray lubricant? Rattle gun? LBS?
  • 07-13-2017 10:09 AM In reply to

• jakes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-05-2014
    • Posts 17

Re: 2009 Cervelo S2 Bottom Bracket Removal

Hi crit_racer, Spray lubricant is a good start, if the BB has not been serviced since 2009 you likely have zero grease on the threads and possibly some corrosion. Sticky sports drink and salt water (if you live in a coastal area) can also get in there making it incredibly hard to remove. You can try pouring very hot water over the BB to dilute any possible sugars, then spraying lubricant. Also it helps to have a second person holding the bike while you work on removing the BB. Lastly, make sure your turning the BB in the correct direction :) Our threaded frames are all English Threaded so loosen them by turning towards the front of the frame (clockwise drive-side, counter-clockwise non-drive side) If you cannot get it out, your LBS is a good place to go. They have years of experience getting stuck BB's out of frames. Good Luck!!
    Jakub Macel
    Digital Communication Advocate
    Cervelo
  • 07-13-2017 1:02 PM In reply to

• goodboyr
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-16-2007
    • Thornhill, Ontario
    • Posts 948

Get a bb wrench that has a square drive fitting. Clamp square drive in vice with BB fitting facing up. Place frame on fitting and ensure you are clear on correct direction to loosen bb, turn frame. This gives you huge leverage in these cases.
    Bobbo
    2015 COR
    '06 R3, Fully Internal Dura Ace 7970, Zipp 303FC Clinchers
    S5 Team, Ultegra Di2, Zipp 101
    RCA 56cm, Dura Ace 9070, Zipp 404 FC Tubbies

• 07-14-2017 9:12 AM In reply to

Thanks a lot jakes and goodboyr. Used both the hot water and bb tool in vice and that got the bb out. Funny thing is the old 6600 bb ran smoother than this new sram gxp bb. Oh well, the things you do for weight savings.
  • 07-31-2017 12:55 PM In reply to

• Kronan
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-15-2012
    • Alberta, Canada
    • Posts 290

crit_racer:
    Thanks a lot jakes and goodboyr. Used both the hot water and bb tool in vice and that got the bb out. Funny thing is the old 6600 bb ran smoother than this new sram gxp bb. Oh well, the things you do for weight savings.

I used to run a SRAM GXP BB in my 2012 S2. I found I had to re-grease the bearings pretty early on (not sure what they had in there, but it it didn't feel smooth to me). It helped, but seemed a hair odd (though I've since gone to a Campy BB on my S2 as I completely changed my group).

I've also found, with their mountain BBs, I generally ended up going to a set of Enduro bearings after a season or two. Not sure whether it is seals, lube or the bearings themselves, but their BB's just haven't really done well for me. YMMV ;)

'12 Cervelo S2 (full Chorus, upgraded bars, saddle, wheels and tires)
    '09 Knolly Delirium T (frame up custom)
    '?? Mercury road bike
    '06 Gary Fisher Cake 2DLX (signed frame)
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.