in

Noisy drivetrain

Last post 08-21-2017 10:10 PM by bobbob. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-25-2017 9:44 AM

Noisy drivetrain

Hi everyone, recently I noticed that my bike was pretty noisy in a certain gear. Went to my lbs and we finally agreed that the noise was probably caused by the combination of the worn chain/cassette. After changing both cassette/chain, I still find that its too noisy. Normally with a new chain and cassette the drivetrain should be nearly silent. Any idea what can be the problem ? Bike shift perfect, so the problem isnt with that. Thank you. P.s. Cervelo R3 2014 Ultegra with 50/34 - 11-32
  • 07-26-2017 9:38 AM In reply to

Re: Noisy drivetrain

bobbob,

I assume you have the long cage variant of the RD? Which cog has been identified as the culprit? Is the chain the correct length? B screw set correctly?

I would start from scratch and reset the RD. Disconnect the cable, turn the cable adjuster(s) in and then back out one turn. Check and adjust limit screws. Reconnect cable and adjust tension. 

Perhaps cables need replacing? 

2009 Cervelo S2
  • 07-26-2017 6:09 PM In reply to

Rob1519:

bobbob,

I assume you have the long cage variant of the RD? Which cog has been identified as the culprit? Is the chain the correct length? B screw set correctly?

I would start from scratch and reset the RD. Disconnect the cable, turn the cable adjuster(s) in and then back out one turn. Check and adjust limit screws. Reconnect cable and adjust tension. 

Perhaps cables need replacing? 

Hi, you are right, I have the long cage derailleur. Most of the cogs are noisy, The noisiest I would say are the middle cogs when on the big chairing. I would even say every gear is noisy. except maybe when in 50-11 50-12.

Cables have been changed this year. B-screw set correctly.

• 07-30-2017 11:03 AM In reply to

in addition to suggestions from @Rob1519.... check your rear der hanger alignment with proper tool.
  • 07-31-2017 12:48 PM In reply to

• Kronan
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-15-2012
    • Alberta, Canada
    • Posts 294

bobbob, what are you running for cassette, chain and derailleur(s)? How old are the jockey wheels? Was the chain cleaned after installation, or was it still noisy with that crappy cosmoline grease crud that the chains are shipped with on it? Still lots of potential causes out there.

'12 Cervelo S2 (full Chorus, upgraded bars, saddle, wheels and tires)
    '09 Knolly Delirium T (frame up custom)
    '?? Mercury road bike
    '06 Gary Fisher Cake 2DLX (signed frame)
  • 07-31-2017 3:57 PM In reply to

• Butch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-07-2016
    • Posts 40

A friend had a noisy drivetrain recently and after noting that everything lined up really well, derailleur, chain and cassette, we took the wheel off and noticed that the cassette was not tight. After we tightened the cassette the drivetrain went silent.
    2015 R2 serious fun (climbing) bike will be upgraded some to become just a hair lighter
    Step 1: Lighter wheels... done! 1342g, down from 2000g
  • 07-31-2017 7:09 PM In reply to

Kronan:

bobbob, what are you running for cassette, chain and derailleur(s)? How old are the jockey wheels? Was the chain cleaned after installation, or was it still noisy with that crappy cosmoline grease crud that the chains are shipped with on it? Still lots of potential causes out there.

Running 11-32 ultegra cassette. Long cage ultegra 6800 derailleur.

Jockey wheels changed less than a month ago.

Chain and cassette as clean as than can be. 

• 07-31-2017 7:11 PM In reply to

Butch:
    A friend had a noisy drivetrain recently and after noting that everything lined up really well, derailleur, chain and cassette, we took the wheel off and noticed that the cassette was not tight. After we tightened the cassette the drivetrain went silent.

Cassette is tight. Drivetain was noisy with worn cassette and is now noisy with brand new too.

• 08-01-2017 9:58 AM In reply to

Post a video with side and rear perspectives. Shift through all gearing combinations.

2009 Cervelo S2
  • 08-01-2017 3:24 PM In reply to

bobbob:
    . Drivetain was noisy with worn cassette and is now noisy with brand new too.

If noise is still there after you have changed cassette and chain (and assuming you have properly adjusted cable tension and set limit screws), then unaligned hanger is MOST likely culprit...
  • 08-02-2017 5:59 PM In reply to

• trex021
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-11-2013
    • Minneapolis
    • Posts 268

Did you stay with Shimano jockey wheels? FWIW I changed to BBInfinite jockey wheels and they were quite noisy. I switched back and I'm silent as ever.
  • 08-03-2017 9:46 PM In reply to

Rob1519:

Post a video with side and rear perspectives. Shift through all gearing combinations.

Here we go.

Sorry for the quality. Lightning bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rguz44BYVY4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdeWW2odGpU

Video in the big ring.

I noticed when taking the video that the chain is moving sideways. Is it normal ?

• 08-04-2017 9:39 AM In reply to

• levi
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-27-2010
    • Posts 372

It is not dead silent but It looks and sounds normal to me. Then again, what is silent to me can be noisy for you. I would take it to a good mechanic and see what you missed.
  • 08-04-2017 11:22 AM In reply to

• Kookie
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2012
    • Toronto
    • Posts 401

For the most part it sounds normal to me. But once the chain reaches the smaller cogs I can hear a ticking/thunking sound. Maybe the RD cage isn't in the right position when the chain is in the smaller cogs???
    2013 Cervelo R5 SRAM Red
    2017 Cervelo S5 SRAM eTap
  • 08-04-2017 2:55 PM In reply to

• levi
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-27-2010
    • Posts 372

Sounds like a winner to me. Check your chainline or use a new Dura-Ace chain. I found the new DA chain quiet and shift better.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.