in

Noisy drivetrain

Last post 08-21-2017 10:10 PM by bobbob. 22 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-06-2017 8:50 PM In reply to

Re: Noisy drivetrain

I did bring it to a shop but he didnt find it that noisy. Everything. The mechanic checked several the usual things but did not find anything wrong. Shift perfectly.Hanger is perfectly straight,

I still asked him to change the chain. Seem to be a little less noisy with a new chain.

But it still pisses me off a little that a road bike drivetrain is noisy.

Will look into di2 for next season.

• 08-07-2017 12:32 AM In reply to

• Kronan
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-15-2012
    • Alberta, Canada
    • Posts 294

Bobbob,

Don't forget, noisy is relative. For the longest time, the most silent bike I ever owned was a single speed (not a fixie) with a Shimano freewheel. In general, the only sounds were the crunch of the tires on the asphalt and the faintest whisper of a click from the freewheel.

Now, my S2 is the quietest when I am freewheeling along as I have an Onyx rear hub...just the crunch of the tires on pavement. When I pedal, I do notice my driveline noise and most of that is my chain. I clean my chains religiously and on a regular schedule, I lube them thoroughly and check for wear every other time I clean it...but even the cleanest, best lubed chain still needs to wrap around chainring, cassette cog and derailleur jockey wheels, so even when perfectly set up and lubed, there will be some noise...there is just too much going on to be perfectly silent.

By the standards I'm used to, my S2 is dead silent, especially compared to my mountain bike with Hope hubs and a heavy duty 3x9 driveline. Even compared to most road bikes during group rides, I'm full on stealth unless I am shifting (mechanical Campy...I get my click-thunk and wouldn't have it any other way). Still, out on the road when I am just cruising along in a constant gear, I hear the chain and think it is loud...but it is relative as I can also hear birds flushing without calling from the grass along the road.

'12 Cervelo S2 (full Chorus, upgraded bars, saddle, wheels and tires)
    '09 Knolly Delirium T (frame up custom)
    '?? Mercury road bike
    '06 Gary Fisher Cake 2DLX (signed frame)
  • 08-08-2017 9:42 AM In reply to

From the rear perspective video, it seems your RD cable tension may be a little high. It could be the perspective of the camera, but as is, looks high to me. 

Start on the small cog and back off the tension. increase tension just enough to get a clean shift to the second cog. Back off you high limit a little. Proper Shimano RD adjustment allows for the RD to be slightly outboard.

What lube are you using? I run Dumonde Tech Lt. Interesting I switched to another brand for a couple of rides and found my chain to be noticeably louder. Back to DT and once again quiet.

2009 Cervelo S2
  • 08-08-2017 8:18 PM In reply to

Rob1519:

From the rear perspective video, it seems your RD cable tension may be a little high. It could be the perspective of the camera, but as is, looks high to me. 

Start on the small cog and back off the tension. increase tension just enough to get a clean shift to the second cog. Back off you high limit a little. Proper Shimano RD adjustment allows for the RD to be slightly outboard.

What lube are you using? I run Dumonde Tech Lt. Interesting I switched to another brand for a couple of rides and found my chain to be noticeably louder. Back to DT and once again quiet.

Hi. Lbs already played with the tension. Didnt change the noise. Tried several lubes too. Muc-off, white lightning, another ceramic wet lube that I cant remember the name.

I will try to switch to another chain like a sram red, dura ace or kmc chain.

I stumbled upon an interesting post this weekend on a forum. Someone said that the combination on a 6800 cassette + a ultegra hg-701 chain was noisy. That poster said that it was confirmed by the Giant product manager. Interesting.

• 08-09-2017 1:35 PM In reply to

I've got a 6800 11-28 cassette with an HG-701 chain on my R3 and it seems pretty quiet to me. I use Finish Line Dry for lube. EDIT: The HG-701 is (I think) a directional chain. Is it installed correctly? I think I remember that you must have the plates with the lettering on the outside.
    2016 R3 Ultegra Di2 61cm
    1999 Litespeed Tuscany Ultegra 61cm
  • 08-09-2017 7:29 PM In reply to

MidTNBrad:
    I've got a 6800 11-28 cassette with an HG-701 chain on my R3 and it seems pretty quiet to me. I use Finish Line Dry for lube. EDIT: The HG-701 is (I think) a directional chain. Is it installed correctly? I think I remember that you must have the plates with the lettering on the outside.

Yup its on the good side. 

• 08-18-2017 8:27 PM In reply to

• SteveL
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-05-2016
    • Posts 1

Hi, It seem that I have a similar problem. Pretty new cassette, new chain and hanger in a good position. When I'm in the small chainring all is good but when I'm on the big chainring I found it noisy. What I find is that if I'm on the small chainring if I look at the RD it seem well aligned, if I'm on the big chainring it look like the RD is a bit out of line.
  • 08-21-2017 10:10 PM In reply to

Switched the chain to a Sram Red. Much happier for now.

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.