in

Daytime running headlights

Last post 08-02-2017 8:27 AM by Rouleur. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-30-2017 8:32 PM

Daytime running headlights

Wondering how many forum members ride with daytime running headlights? I always use a rear facing light but very recently picked up a Bontrager Ion for some early morning/late evening rides and have been thinking of using it all the time regardless of time of day. I'll admit the older I get and now with a wife and two young kids I've been more concerned about my safety and being more visible to drivers. Most of my training rides are more rural roads so I do worry just as much from on coming cars as I do from those coming from behind. I've read abit on another forum and of course many opinions ranging from the legality of forward facing lights to it may piss off oncoming cars if it's too bright- I will say this, the few rides I've done during the day with a forward facing light I've definitely noticed cars giving me more berth and even got a thumbs up from someone driving towards me.
    2008 Cervelo R3
    2009 Cervelo S2
    2002 Cervelo Prodigy
    2014 S-Works Tarmac SL4
    2016 Specialized Diverge DSW
  • 07-30-2017 9:15 PM In reply to

• Kookie
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2012
    • Toronto
    • Posts 398

Re: Daytime running headlights

For front lights, I use the Bontrager 700 Ion on my commuter and the Ion 100 on my road bikes (use flashing mode for all of them). I too noticed drivers giving me more room.
    2013 Cervelo R5 SRAM Red
    2017 Cervelo S5 SRAM eTap
  • 07-31-2017 7:18 AM In reply to

I'll run day time lights in the early months of my commute and towards the end of it come late September & early October. I've got 2 Towpeak White Light IIs that are easy on / off and wicked bright, not too mention compact, so you aren't sticking some massive big bulky floodlight on your bike. Not sure if it helps me at all, but I do think it's appreciated especially when the light at 5:45 am isn't that bright.
    Jens Voigt doesn't complain about what suffering does to him, but suffering constantly complains about getting picked on by Jens Voigt.
  • 07-31-2017 11:27 AM In reply to

I use a Cygolite Metro 550, it is very bright and I use in all light conditions. My reason for using one is seeing a fiend get cut off by a left turning car, the outcome was disastrous, and ended with him being paraplegic and in a wheel chair.  So I don't leave home without it.  I know it has made me visible to drivers coming towards me or turning out in front of me, I see their reactions.  My rear light is less bright and this I use in the early and late parts of the day rather than in bright daylight.  I am thinking of a brighter unit though.  My feeling is I should do what I can to be defensive and lights are a part of that strategy.

• 07-31-2017 12:27 PM In reply to

<being more visible to drivers>

That's simply smart!

I've biked about 15,000mi on Maui alone, and 5000 on other islands, in addition to many 10,000's in So Cal. There is absolutely no question that a bright white flashing light on the front will deter 'left turners' and also, it will help abate those turning right in front of you, as that nasty flashing white light catches their attention in their right rear view mirror.

Also, wearing a bright kit will make quite a difference. There are folks who like wearing black. but black and cyclists only is a combo that is smart when off the bike. (off the road)

Lights for life. Use them,

Aloha,

Jeff

2014 R3 DA9070(Di2)Zipp404Firecrest Carbon Clinchers, Powertap SL+-SoCal
    2010 P2 DA/Ultegra-SoCal Zipp808 Firecrest Carbon Clinchers, Zipp Super 9 Carbon Clincher Disc
    Zipp 202 Firecrest Carbon Clinchers
    Speciaized Roubaix PRO DA-Maui
    Bike Friday-AirFriday- Kona and Honolulu
    Pivot 2015 Mach 4 Carbon (27.5) M9000 XTR Reynolds Black Label XC wheels.
  • 07-31-2017 12:45 PM In reply to

• Kronan
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-15-2012
    • Alberta, Canada
    • Posts 290

I am starting to use blinkies on both ends more and more during the day. I have a PlanetBike Superflash on the back of the bike and if I anticipate much traffic at all, I have it on. Out in the boonies, I still tend not to run it, but closer to town, I'll flash my butt at the drivers ;) I've also added a little brake light on the brake cable (can't remember the brand at the moment...but you pull on the brakes and it actuates the switch for the light too) as one more "see me" tool.

As for fronts, I have a little PlanetBike Spok...nothing anywhere near as bright as what some of the others replying use, but a little blinky just to say "hey, I'm here." Again, I find I am more apt to have it on near town than out in the country. 

I don't know if I've seen much difference in the driver's responses to this point (other than potentially attracting a couple big rigs onto the shoulder) but I do find I have them with me and flashing more often than not these days.

'12 Cervelo S2 (full Chorus, upgraded bars, saddle, wheels and tires)
    '09 Knolly Delirium T (frame up custom)
    '?? Mercury road bike
    '06 Gary Fisher Cake 2DLX (signed frame)
  • 08-02-2017 8:27 AM In reply to

I have See.Sense lights. I initially bought them for night time use but now I have them on all the time. They adapt the lights behaviour and flash pattern in response to the traffic so the battery lasts longer. I commute about 20 miles each way to work and normally just charge them at the weekend via USB.

Website is here seesense.cc but you can get them off Amazon, CRC, Wiggle etc.

AF

- Cervélo R5
    - Cervélo Soloist Team
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.