in

New bikes, new looks, new specs...

Last post 09-23-2017 2:06 AM by Butch. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-22-2017 9:13 AM

New bikes, new looks, new specs...

Cervélo has updated its website with all their newest bikes, which are currently being shown at Interbike in Las Vegas Here are some of my thoughts, I'm curious about yours. New bikes This year the classic R-series have been given an update (see full info at https://rseries.cervelo.com/). Focussing more on comfort/fit (handling) then weight & stiffness, which is an interesting approach. The rest of the bikes have been given a new look and some new specs. New looks Most of the bikes now feature 2 options, where the flouro/green is making its way throughout the range next to the traditional red. Matter of personal taste, right? New specs I feel this is the most interesting part. Where Cervélo used to be focussing on what they do best (making frames), they've started to follow the big manufactures like Giant and Specialized by making their own handlebars, stems and now even saddles... As for handlebars and seatpost I can understand for aerodynamics. Also from a business point of view I understand, but personally I'm a bit disappointed in this approach. The takeover by Pon a few years ago clearly paved the way for the "lower" entree-bikes. I'm not saying the frames aren't good anymore, but the frames aren't matched by their specs. And for me, the vision of the CTT back in 2009 where they started partnerships with companies who are "special" in their own segment (think of Rotor, Speedplay and Zipp) was something that attracted me into Cervélo. Anyhow, just some thoughts.
  • 09-22-2017 2:04 PM In reply to

• Kookie
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2012
    • Toronto
    • Posts 401

Re: New bikes, new looks, new specs...

I got the impression they focused more on stiffness (both R3/5) and a more aggressive geometry for the R5. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkJSaJ5wrgk
    2013 Cervelo R5 SRAM Red
    2017 Cervelo S5 SRAM eTap
  • 09-22-2017 4:32 PM In reply to

• apwndwest
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-11-2014
    • Vancouver, British Columbia
    • Posts 260

Kookie:
    I got the impression they focused more on stiffness (both R3/5) and a more aggressive geometry for the R5. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkJSaJ5wrgk
    I have seen the new R3 at La Bicycletta in Vancouver. The downtube is HUGE but still squoval.
    2014 R3 (Hills bike)
    2012 Roubaix SL3 (Endurance bike)
  • 09-22-2017 11:29 PM In reply to

I agree with Fischer in that the frames, while good, aren't at the cutting edge and innovative like Cervelo used to be. When the S series come out, there wasn't an aero bike from any manufacturer that matched the performance. The R series also was unique in combing lightness, stiffness, and aero in a single, all purpose frame that climbed well too. Even the C series was a little different than most endurance/gravel bikes. I like the new models. But if I were buying, there's lots of competition and nothing unique.
  • 09-23-2017 2:06 AM In reply to

• Butch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-07-2016
    • Posts 40

Until the next super light super strong material comes up, I think most bike manufacturers will just keep refining their products incrementally. R series were tweaked some, and the R5 especially with a slightly more aggressive geometry, a more massive squoval down tube and stiffer rear frame that the Pros wanted. Haven't looked to see if the R3 and R2 have a different frame spec from the R5. Carbon allowed revolutionary changes in the way bicycles could be shaped and cut down to minimum weights. Some bikes are available under the UCI weight limits racing rules demand. I'm looking forward to demoing a new R series to see if the improvement is something I can feel compared to the Cervelo I now ride. Comes a point where diminishing returns can be expected from any given redesign. Cervelo is still producing some of the best bikes, even though other manufacturers are amping up the competition and possibly bringing comparable products to the shops. It's all good for us in the long run.
    2015 R2 serious fun (climbing) bike will be upgraded some to become just a hair lighter
    Step 1: Lighter wheels... done! 1342g, down from 2000g
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.