in

Di2 on an S3

Last post 11-29-2017 3:54 AM by DidierAubin87. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-17-2017 10:56 AM

Di2 on an S3

I am thinking about adding an S3 Ultegra Di2 to my collection but all the pictures of S3's with Di2 show the battery on the underside of the downtube near the bottom bracket which apart from looking pretty awful seems to me to be a precarious place to put it. Is this still the battery location on the latest S3, and if so why could they not use a seatpost battery like every other make of bike? Don
  • 10-17-2017 4:13 PM In reply to

• \\\wes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-22-2015
    • Posts 7

Re: Di2 on an S3

Don, What year model are you looking at? I have a 2015 S3 Di2 with the external battery that you mention. It looks like the 2017 S3 Di2 moves the battery into the down tube like the S3 Disc. I would love to see photos of how that works if anyone has some handy. Regarding the BB external battery location, I have never had any issue with it and mostly forget it is there - but have also not had any significant crash with it. The internal battery apparently will not fit in the aero seatpost, but others have placed it in the seat tube with packing materials to keep it from rattling. This would be an option if you are building it up yourself. Thanks, -Wes
  • 10-17-2017 8:27 PM In reply to

Hey Don,

As Wes mentioned, just wrap the battery in foam and place it in the seat tube. I have been running the battery like this in my 09 S2 for a couple of years w/o issue. Additionally, if you travel at all, it is easier to remove your seat post w/o messing with that cable connections.

Alternatively, the internal battery can be placed in your steerer tube using a Shimano (Pro) compression plug and stem.

Rob

2009 Cervelo S2
  • 10-18-2017 9:53 AM In reply to

Thanks for the input guy it has been most helpful
  • 10-18-2017 2:40 PM In reply to

Hi Don, no photos handy at the moment, but: I have the 2104/15 S3 (bright red), and it has the internal battery. As the seat-post is aero the battery actually sits in the lower part of the down-tube. It goes-in through a covered port in the bottom bracket underneath, and sits on a "sled" that is bolted firmly and thus doesn't rattle or move. Hope this helps.
  • 10-18-2017 4:15 PM In reply to

• \\\wes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-22-2015
    • Posts 7

David, Are you sure it is a 2014/15? I have a 2015 S3 Di2 ( This One ) with the external battery and don't see how the internal battery would ever fit past the BB through the access port on the bottom. I'm interested as I would like to convert to an internal battery at some point. Thanks, -Wes
  • 10-19-2017 1:17 PM In reply to

Yes, that’s the same colour scheme as mine. I wonder if Cervelo actually had a slightly different frame depending on the bike build - you could buy a mechanical or Di2 (usually Ultegra Di2) and I wonder if there was a very minor difference in the bottom bracket - hole or no hole? I can’t upload photos at the moment - photobucket has gashed free hosting for everyone.... David
  • 10-19-2017 4:15 PM In reply to

• \\\wes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-22-2015
    • Posts 7

I have the port, just can't see how a battery would fit in the gap between the edge of the port and the BB which is approx 0.5 inch. Photos below hosted by http://www.postimg.org:

2017_10_19_030335

2017_10_19_030434
  • 10-26-2017 6:20 PM In reply to

• goodboyr
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-16-2007
    • Thornhill, Ontario
    • Posts 950

You mean you can't drop it in from the top with the seatpost out?
    Bobbo
    2015 COR
    '06 R3, Fully Internal Dura Ace 7970, Zipp 303FC Clinchers
    S5 Team, Ultegra Di2, Zipp 101
    RCA 56cm, Dura Ace 9070, Zipp 404 FC Tubbies

• 10-27-2017 11:31 AM In reply to

• \\\wes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-22-2015
    • Posts 7

Was this in reply to me? Placing it in the seat tube from the top with the seat post out (and some packing material so it does not rattle) is the option that has been reported to work. It is reported to not fit inside the seat post itself, and I can't see how one would be able to get it into the down tube. I think the newer frames must have a larger or relocated access port near the BB to get into the down tube. I would love to see a photo of that area from someone with the down tube install. -Wes
  • 10-28-2017 9:08 AM In reply to

• goodboyr
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-16-2007
    • Thornhill, Ontario
    • Posts 950

Yup. Looks like I missed the part where you already stated that the seat tube is a practical alternative. I would assume the build to put it into the down tube entailed doing this prior to pressing in the BB. And if you needed to ever remove the battery you would have to remove the BB cups first. Not a tough job with the right tools.
    Bobbo
    2015 COR
    '06 R3, Fully Internal Dura Ace 7970, Zipp 303FC Clinchers
    S5 Team, Ultegra Di2, Zipp 101
    RCA 56cm, Dura Ace 9070, Zipp 404 FC Tubbies

• 11-18-2017 5:37 AM In reply to

Hi! Long time since my last post. I have a 2014 S3 with a Di2 group which I have set up by myself. External battery was not an option. Long answer short, yes you can put the battery inside the seat tube and it will fit. It's just about the same size and you may find it a bit tricky, just remember to leave a long zip tie so that you can remove the battery later, otherwise I suppose it would be virtually impossible (I have damaged a battery unit because of the mistake). Then, when Cervelo launched the new S5, they offer the downtube battery holder for that model (DI-BM-INT-S5D). I bought one unit just to find out that it won't fit in the frame hole under the bottom bracket. Maybe they will upgrade future versions of the frame, so that they'll fit. But, you can fit it through the upper head tube hole. It's trick and you have to set up all the wiring previously, but it works and I have done it. Trying to find some pictures of the process... Thanks!
  • 11-18-2017 10:11 AM In reply to

• \\\wes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-22-2015
    • Posts 7

Rodolfo, Do you mean "But, you can fit it through the upper seat tube hole", rather than "head tube hole"?

Thanks,
    -Wes

• 11-18-2017 10:18 AM In reply to

Nope, I really mean the head tube hole. You need to remove the stem and fork and then slide the battery + holder + wires + allen wrench in a predetermined position through the upper head tube hole... :-) Yes, it's a PITA... but it works!
  • 11-18-2017 11:09 AM In reply to

HI Guys, It was me that started this thread and I looked at all the options that have been suggested. I appreciate that some of you have managed to conceal the battery but I found all of the suggestions over complicated. In the end I bought a Dogma F10 with everything nicely concealed yet easily accessible. It is awesome. Whether it is better than my Cervelo R3 is hard to say. It is a little heavier but the handling is sublime. I am still a Cervelo fan but just thought I would try something different. Regards, Don
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.