in

Chain Ring Bolts

Last post 11-29-2017 3:53 AM by DidierAubin87. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-05-2017 5:45 PM

Chain Ring Bolts

When installing new chain ring bolts, should grease be applied or blue loc-tite? And could the absence of either of those substances possibly be the source of a clicking sound that is on both bikes (R3 & S5) with the same crank (Rotor 3D+)? I've checked all other possible sources of the clicking and am have not sourced it. The chain ring bolts are last on the list of possible sources. Thanks,
    Jens Voigt doesn't complain about what suffering does to him, but suffering constantly complains about getting picked on by Jens Voigt.
  • 11-06-2017 12:52 AM In reply to

Re: Chain Ring Bolts

The chain ring bolts are definitely on the list for clicking sources. Before mounting I clean their sit at the chainrings and where the chainrings touches the crank and put very little grease with my fingers on. But I guess the most benefit is that is how small dirt grains can be recognized best .. never needed any LocTite there, with RotoR bolts 8Nm is fine .. these bolts can be overtightened easy and will brake then to get replaced .. in most cases a clicking sound from down there was the beginning of a worn out BB (in my case) .. good wrenching!
  • 11-06-2017 6:19 AM In reply to

Sausskross - thanks for the information.
    Jens Voigt doesn't complain about what suffering does to him, but suffering constantly complains about getting picked on by Jens Voigt.
  • 11-08-2017 5:55 AM In reply to

Well last night I took the cranks off and removed the chain ring bolts on my Rotor 3D+. When I put the bolts back on with grease, one of them sheered off before I even got it torqued fully. Thankfully I had a few spare bolts laying around, but hoping the noise issue is finally resolved. Perhaps this one bolt was compromised long before I removed & reinstalled it. Either way here's hoping to a click free ride this weekend.
  • 11-11-2017 12:23 AM In reply to

Hi cawright1375,

did your hope come in?
  • 11-11-2017 9:20 AM In reply to

I won’t know until tomorrow.
  • 11-14-2017 7:01 AM In reply to

sausskross:
    Hi cawright1375,

did your hope come in?
    Sausskross - nope, the click is still there, so at this point I am going to live with it until I can get the bike in to the shop or get a torque wrench that goes up to the correct setting for my Rotor crank (35-40nm). I'd rather wait and live with it until I get the proper tool so that I can take it all apart clean & lube everything before taking it to the shop. At this point the only thing I know is that under pressure pedaling the click is there, but when spinning with zero pressure no noise. The search continues....
  • 11-15-2017 2:58 AM In reply to

Does the click occur under load frequently when the left crank is on about 10 o'clock?
  • 11-15-2017 5:44 AM In reply to

sausskross:
    Does the click occur under load frequently when the left crank is on about 10 o'clock?
    Yes I believe it does if memory serves correct.
  • 11-15-2017 4:01 PM In reply to

If the shop recommends you a new BB .. with Token I've very good experiences .. https://www.tokenproducts.com/bottom-brackets/road/fusion-bottom-bracket .. but there are many out there besides RotoR's standard PF4630, them I had to replace twice a year ..
  • 11-16-2017 5:41 AM In reply to

sausskross:
    If the shop recommends you a new BB .. with Token I've very good experiences .. https://www.tokenproducts.com/bottom-brackets/road/fusion-bottom-bracket .. but there are many out there besides RotoR's standard PF4630, them I had to replace twice a year ..
    I don't run the standard Rotor BB. I use the Wheels Mfg aluminum cups so that I get a bit longer use out of the cups. But good to know it could be the BB shell. Or do you infer it's the bearings?
  • 11-16-2017 10:41 AM In reply to

With 32k+ miles on my BBRight I never had problems with the cups, just with worn bearings ..

• 11-17-2017 6:03 AM In reply to

Well that does make a bit of sense and here is why. When I rode my 11th Trek Across Maine this year, they made us keep the bikes outside over night at Sunday River before the first day. It poured that night and most of the morning, but mile 50 the tell tale knock knock knock of a degreased BB was happening. I knew exactly what the problem was but none of the bike shops that were there over the weekend wanted to remove the cranks and pop the seals to grease the bearings. So I rode 3 days and close to 180 miles like that. Once home I did pull and grease everthing, but I'm guessing it was too late and the damage to the bearings were done. Good to know. Now the question is, if it's just the bearings, not the cups, how easy is it to remove the bearings and put new ones in?
  • 11-17-2017 9:58 AM In reply to

I'd say leaky sealings were the cause for wearing out my BBs, too .. the left side is more exposed .. with the right tools and know how there should be no difference to remove the bearings ore cups .. the mechanic of my trust always installed a complete new BB in the shell and put Crystal Grease on the contact surfaces .. no problems came out .. the BB shell of the S5 2015 still looks like new !!
  • 11-17-2017 10:48 AM In reply to

• Butch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-07-2016
    • Southern Maine Foothills
    • Posts 44

I've only done 5 Treks Across Maine, but one in particular was monsoon like with pouring rain for the first two days. Bikes were not outside at night at Sunday River, but we rode through miles of standing water. Definitely the wettest ride I'd ever experienced. My chain suffered and the grinding noises became pretty horrible toward the end of those two days. I used a hose to wash the chain, chainrings and rear derailleur at Farmington and then the next day at Colby, in Waterville (perfectly named for the occasion). Did oil the chain. After a wet start on the third day, the sand on the road accumulated on the bike to make the grinding bad enough to make me stop at the first rest stop along China Lake and get the bike serviced. Thankfully, the Trek support tech did a great quick cleaning and oiling that left a smooth running bike from there to the Belfast finish. All that rain and muck, on an 8,000+ mile (by then) 2006 Allez Comp 105 10 speed groupset and the bottom bracket on that aluminum bike had not made a sound, and had not been re-greased or touched. That bike became my early Spring bad weather and bad surface road bike. It now has 13,000+ miles on it. So not sure why a BB would start to complain because it was left out in the rain one night. Sound to me like the BB didn't have enough grease in it to begin with or had a bad seal?
    2015 R2 serious fun (climbing) bike will be upgraded some to become just a hair lighter
    Step 1: Lighter wheels... done! 1342g, down from 2000g
    Step 2: Fabric Line 142mm saddle w/titanium rails
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.