in

C series & knobbies

Last post 12-04-2017 10:01 AM by jakes. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-02-2017 8:14 AM

C series & knobbies

good morning folks - I am curious if anyone who has purchased a C series bike has swapped out the tires for a knobbier option? I would love to invest again in a cx bike for winter/ gravel riding down the road. But I'd also like to stay in house as it were. I've no desire to race cross. A mechanic at a Cervelo dealer told me that you can fit knobbies on the C series but I'm still curious as to whether that is true or not.
    Jens Voigt doesn't complain about what suffering does to him, but suffering constantly complains about getting picked on by Jens Voigt.
  • 12-02-2017 8:39 PM In reply to

Re: C series & knobbies

I too have been thinking of getting a C3 for gravel grinding which we ride from September on. Presently run a Kona Jake the Snake with Shimano 105 11 speed 46/34x11/32. Love the Jake which a CX bike. The attraction with the C3 is it can gravel and road and do both jobs better than the Jake. It easily fit's the 32/33 Clement small block knobby tires I use on my Jake. My local Cervelo dealer tells me in their experience it will run much larger tires which is nice to know although can't see using more than 35's on our gravel rides. The attraction of the C3 is the lower crank, more stable frame design that more closely match's the speed range we ride unlike CX's which are really designed for lower speed manouvering not going down a gravel hill at 70 km. Further the C3 will give me a good two bike quiver an a alternative road bike with disc's to ease me into the future.
    COR Co-organizer 2015
    2010 Cannondale Rush MTB
    Kona Jake The Snake Cross bike
    2011 Cervelo R3 Red - sold
    2013 Cervelo S5 Red
    2014 Cervelo S3 Red 22
  • 12-04-2017 10:01 AM In reply to

• jakes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-05-2014
    • Posts 34

Re: C series & knobbies

Hi cawright1375, The C series was designed to be an endurance bike for use with larger 32mm road tires, however, it didn't take long for riders to start pushing the limits and using knobby tires for muddy or snowy days. We suggest a 4mm clearance model between the tire and chainstays preventing any potential rubbing, but if you are comfortable with a tighter clearance there are some slightly knobby tires which can fit. Some staff riders have used 32c Hutchinson Toro CX tires on the stock Ardennes which definitely made it a fun bike. There was enough clearance to be tight, but also enough that our riders were comfortable it wouldn't ruin the frame. Cheers,
    Jakub Macel
    Digital Communication Advocate
    Cervelo
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.