in

2018 R3 - What Indoor Trainer is best for it

Last post 01-29-2018 9:50 AM by jakes. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-02-2018 8:26 PM

• Kam
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-10-2017
    • Posts 3

2018 R3 - What Indoor Trainer is best for it

Hi I own a 2017/18 R3 What indoor trainers are recommended for R3 /2018 model/ wheel size 25-622? I would like to use the virtua softwarel zwift on it _ I guess I also need to change the tires ? Thanks, Kam
  • 01-03-2018 9:39 AM In reply to

• jakes
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-05-2014
    • Posts 45

Re: 2018 R3 - What Indoor Trainer is best for it

Hi Kam, The R3 can be used with virtually any indoor trainer as long as you use the supplied quick release that comes with that particular trainer and follow the proper setup instructions. Dedicated trainer tires from Vittoria or Tacx (among others) can be purchased which are made from more durable rubber to last much longer and prevent overheating. Not totally required but recommended if you plan on using your trainer frequently. Cheers,
    Jakub Macel
    Digital Communication Advocate
    Cervelo
  • 01-17-2018 7:26 AM In reply to

• apwndwest
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-11-2014
    • Vancouver, British Columbia
    • Posts 267

Wahoo kickr.
    2014 R3 (Hills bike)
    2012 Roubaix SL3 (Endurance bike)
  • 01-17-2018 7:56 AM In reply to

• Xriss
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-02-2017
    • Zurich, Switzerland
    • Posts 9

I've been using the TACX Neo Smart T2800 together with the new R5 disc and it's been awesome. There's absolutely no noise except for the chain and the freewheel hub when I'm not pedalling. This makes this trainer perfect for placing it in the living room. Also accuracy of cadence and power great. I've been Zwifting with it for about 1400km now and haven't experienced anything negative. As a less expensive alternative, I'd recommend the TACX Flux T2900.
  • 01-17-2018 9:19 AM In reply to

You may want to consider using a dedicated steel or aluminum bike instead of a carbon-framed R3 for indoor training, especially on direct drive trainers.  The lateral forces generated on these trainers can exceed what the frames were designed to tolerate on the open road.  This could lead to carbon failure that the general warranty will not cover. 

2017 Cervelo S3 Etap
    2012 R5 VWD DA
    2011 R5 Sram Red
  • 01-17-2018 10:32 AM In reply to

• Noel
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-03-2012
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 259

I agree with the use of direct drive trainers like TACX Neo and steel/aluminum-framed bikes. Just dial the trainer bike in to your carbon bike's config. Now while cheaper than TACX Neo, I read a lot of negative feedbacks on TACX Flux.
    2013 Cervelo S5 - Shimano Ultegra / Zipp 404
    2009 Cervelo S1 - Shimano Ultegra / Zipp 404
    2009 Cervelo S2 - SRAM Force / SRAM S60

Santa Cruz VP Free
    Santa Cruz Superlight
    Trek Speed Concept
    Trek Marlin

• 01-17-2018 11:00 AM In reply to

• Kam
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-10-2017
    • Posts 3

Thank you for your response, I ended up buying the vortex Tacx , would this damage the frame? So far the accuracy is off a bit but is working through tacx mobile app better. Best, Kam
  • 01-17-2018 11:01 AM In reply to

• Kam
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-10-2017
    • Posts 3

would you use the Neo on Carbon frame? I ended up buying the vortex, not bad so far , the accuracy is lower comparing to my Garmin on the bike
  • 01-17-2018 11:20 AM In reply to

• Xriss
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-02-2017
    • Zurich, Switzerland
    • Posts 9

It is absolutely no problem to use the Neo with a carbon frame. There are no bigger forces to the frame than on the road. In addition, carbon is not only stiffer than common metals, it is also more durable! The only thing carbon doesn‘t like are sudden impacts (e.g. crashes) and high clamping forces (e.g. seatpost clamp, bike stands). The only tjing I repöaced for the use woth my Neo is the front wheel, since wheels are made to cover dynamic forces (during motion) not static ones. So I replace my Enve front wheel with a cheap Mavic Aksium when the bike‘s on the Neo. Btw. Many World Tour Teams (Astana, Bora Hansgrohe as well as Dimension Data on Cervelo) use the Tacx Neo for training and warmup before races.
  • 01-17-2018 12:17 PM In reply to

Unfortunately my experience using a carbon frame on a direct drive trainer conflicts with the advice provided above.  Specifically, I've experience a chainstay failure during use on a direct drive trainer.  It occurred during a climb up to the radio tower on Zwift mountain.  And if you may be thinking I might be a heavy weight, I'm a 140 pound climber.  If you're going to be riding indoors, get yourself a steel or aluminum framed bike that's dedicated for indoor usage.  You'll get plenty of use out of it, as Zwift is wonderfully addictive.  The R3 (like all Cervelos) is a great bike.  Don't risk damaging it.  Any damage caused by use on a trainer will not be covered by warranty. 

2017 Cervelo S3 Etap
    2012 R5 VWD DA
    2011 R5 Sram Red
  • 01-17-2018 1:00 PM In reply to

• Noel
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-03-2012
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 259

Warranty wise, what is Cervelo's current position on this? They're not in the trainer-friendly/unfriendly list in this somewhat outdated article https://zwiftinsider.com/trainer-use-warranty/

Santa Cruz VP Free
    Santa Cruz Superlight
    Trek Speed Concept
    Trek Marlin

• 01-18-2018 6:44 AM In reply to

I've been using a CycleOops trainer since 2006 and have never had an issue with carbon frames. I've used a Trek 5000, Madone OCLV 5.2, Cervelo S5 and never a problem and I'm upwards of 200lbs usually when I'm using it over the winter months here in New Hampshire. The other thing I do is save tires that are no longer suitable for the road, i.e. to many cracks or holes etc and use those on the trainer rather than a trainer specific tire.
    Jens Voigt doesn't complain about what suffering does to him, but suffering constantly complains about getting picked on by Jens Voigt.
  • 01-18-2018 10:14 AM In reply to

Carbon frames have to my knowledge and experience no issues with in door trainers. If they did you would see all types of warnings around as many many people use in door trainers each and every winter. You can decrease the force on the frame by building or buying a rocking platform for your trainer. Easy to builld and in addition to taking the lateral stresses off the frame they add some realism to a trainer ride. Lots of designs on Youtube. I too use older road tires. They have softer rubber are less likely to slip and last a few seasons depending on your training frequency etc.
    COR Co-organizer 2015
    2010 Cannondale Rush MTB
    Kona Jake The Snake Cross bike
    2011 Cervelo R3 Red - sold
    2013 Cervelo S5 Red
    2014 Cervelo S3 Red 22
  • 01-18-2018 11:52 AM In reply to

• Noel
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-03-2012
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 259

Each has valid points. I guess it just boils down to the level of comfort one has in using pricey carbon-framed bikes on trainers. Similar to how people debate on the use of carbon handlebars over aluminum. It's one of those love it or hate it kind of thing.

Now to our OP's initial question, trainers are not bike specific. Depends on how much you want to spend on it and your intended use. Hopefully what you got serves you well.

Santa Cruz VP Free
    Santa Cruz Superlight
    Trek Speed Concept
    Trek Marlin

• 01-20-2018 8:05 AM In reply to

Noel:
    Each has valid points. I guess it just boils down to the level of comfort one has in using pricey carbon-framed bikes on trainers. Similar to how people debate on the use of carbon handlebars over aluminum. It's one of those love it or hate it kind of thing.

Now to our OP's initial question, trainers are not bike specific. Depends on how much you want to spend on it and your intended use. Hopefully what you got serves you well.

Well not to necessarily stir the pot more, but you say you chain stay broke. How do you know it wasn't a result of an issue from a crash that went unnoticed? There are enough folks who only have carbon frames that use them on trainers, so an n=1 doesn't mean that you can't use carbon frames on trainers. And as any solid scientist would tell you, correlation doesn't equal causation. Just because it happened on the trainer, doesn't mean the trainer caused it the crack that resulted in frame failure. As an aside I've run carbon bars since 2006 and the only time they failed was when I got hit by a car. All my other crashes before & the one after, the carbon bars survived the impact. Carbon is not porcelain otherwise bikes would crumble during races like Paris-Roubaix.
    Jens Voigt doesn't complain about what suffering does to him, but suffering constantly complains about getting picked on by Jens Voigt.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.