in

Chain Ring Suggestions Needed

Last post 03-28-2018 5:00 PM by jonkrause. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-27-2018 7:08 AM

Chain Ring Suggestions Needed

Good morning folks, I'm looking for opinions on chain rings, specifically looking for some sturdy ones that won't necessarily flex a lot under load. I recently upgraded to SRAM Red 22 (cabled) on my beloved R3. I run a Rotor 3D+ crank with FSA chain rings. The other day I noticed that on the downstroke on the drive side, the chain/ ring pulled away and it was not at all subtle. Now whether this had happened before or not I cannot say, but if it did it was not as obvious as I was seeing. Crank and chain ring bolts are all tight up to spec and not budging. It's a brand new chain too. So I am looking for suggestions on what chain rings would be an improvement over what I have now. Regards
    Jens Voigt doesn't complain about what suffering does to him, but suffering constantly complains about getting picked on by Jens Voigt.
  • 03-27-2018 6:26 PM In reply to

• spotter
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-17-2008
    • Newcastle, Aust
    • Posts 143

Re: Chain Ring Suggestions Needed

I understand your concern, I had the felx-alot Rotor rings on both my R3 & S3. 

Upgraded the R3 to full Ultegra 11 from 10 with a bottom bracket converter as it was an older bike. For the S3 got some Praxis Chain Rings.

This all comes down to cold forging compared to CNC. Reading review I believe Dura Ace, Ultegra and Prixis are the chain rings which are cold forged which are well priced. You could spend a lot of money and get carbon one.

• 03-27-2018 7:20 PM In reply to

• brendanh
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-27-2017
    • Sydney
    • Posts 2

I swapped whatever was standard on my P3 Rotor cranks with Praxis Works rings. Much better. But still not as good as my roadie (not a Cervelo) with Shimano rings/cranks. As the other person said, you would need to do a BB conversion etc. for the Shimano conversion. Cheers
  • 03-28-2018 7:02 AM In reply to

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into the Praxis rings. I absolutely love my Rotor 3D+ crank and see no reason to get rid of it. Again thanks for the suggestions.
    Jens Voigt doesn't complain about what suffering does to him, but suffering constantly complains about getting picked on by Jens Voigt.
  • 03-28-2018 5:00 PM In reply to

I'd second the Praxis recommendation. I use them on my R3. I have them attached to a Power2Max power meter spider with your same Rotor 3d+ crank arms, and love them. Way stiffer than the stock Rotor round rings. Shifting is flawless (on di2 in my case).

________

2015 R3

2015 S5

2007 P2C

2006 Soloist Team -warranty replaced (with S5) RIP

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.