in

Bottom Bracket Lifespan

Last post 11-06-2018 12:59 AM by Butch . 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-03-2018 2:22 PM

• armcomdes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-11-2009
    • Northern New Jersey, USA
    • Posts 24

Bottom Bracket Lifespan

On July 25, 2018, after 4 years of owning my 2014 R3, I took my bike in for a much needed bottom bracket. They replaced it with a SRAM BBright unit. 48 days later I brought it back and said the crank was tight. The owner spun it a few times and it loosened up. He said there was no problem. Twice since, while servicing my bike, the crank felt tight and then loosened up again. Finally, it happened once more, so I brought it back.

The mechanic said I had water inside and that I shouldn't use a hose to clean my bike (I use a shower nozzle when I do). He replaced the BB, and charged me again.

So after 4 years of ownership... no problem with my BB. Now, suddenly after 48 days after it gets replaced, it's my fault the BB went bad because I wash my bike?!

Does this sound right?

• 11-03-2018 3:27 PM In reply to

Re: Bottom Bracket Lifespan

I suppose it is possible you got a lemon in terms of the new BB that was installed. Did you attempt to regrease it yourself? A few years back the Trek Across Maine had such torrential downpours that a jewish guy was loading animals into a boat 2x2. By mile 50 of the 68 that first day, my BB was squeaky as could be. I knew it was in need of lubing but no mechanic wanted to pull the crank and pop the seals to grease the bearings. The other thing to consider is the amount of wet riding you have done. Are you riding in the wet and if so was it more in those 48 days than the preceding years on the old BB?
    Jens Voigt doesn't complain about what suffering does to him, but suffering constantly complains about getting picked on by Jens Voigt.
  • 11-03-2018 3:33 PM In reply to

• armcomdes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-11-2009
    • Northern New Jersey, USA
    • Posts 24

No wet riding. The bike never saw riding in the rain. Maybe a light spitting, but that may have been the guy in front of me.

I also use the shower setting on my hose. Very low pressure. So I know I didn't force water into the BB.

Is there a way to install these thing incorrectly so that water gets in easier?

• 11-06-2018 12:59 AM In reply to

• Butch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-07-2016
    • Southern Maine Foothills
    • Posts 54

I did the same monsoon Trek Across Maine that cawright mentions and he's not kidding about the amount of water we rode through. Inches of water on the roadways plus constant moderate to heavy rainfall. At the end of the first day, I hosed off my crank, chain and cassette. I was riding my 2006 Specialized Allez Comp with a triple 105 group on it. I thought the crank was going to seize on me it sounded so bad. The second day wasn't much better. On the third day the bike was grinding so much that I had to pull in at the China Lake rest stop to have the support mechanics clean the grit off the components and oil the chain. It did the trick and I had a good ride to the finish. I did a complete wash on the bike frame, taking off wheels, seat, bottle cages when I got home, scrubbed the cassette, chain rings and chain. Dropped the fork to inspect the grease and it was fine. Dried and oiled everything, put it all back together and it rode like new again. I still have that bike, with the same components and use it when the weather is threatening or after Winter when the roads are still a mess. It only has about 14,000 miles on it, but all miles with zero problems. The original 12 year old BB turns smoothly as the day I bought the bike. Other than a new chain every 3-4k miles or so, new tires, bar tape and a set of coated cables that were installed about 5 years ago, that's the full extent of replacements. Your BB had to be installed improperly or was defective as mentioned above.
    2015 R2 fun (climbing and all around) bike, upgraded some to become just a hair lighter in 2016 (it was an orphan leftover at the LBS). Glad I picked it up.
    Step 1: Lighter wheels... done! 1342g, down from 2000g
    Step 2: Fabric Line 142mm saddle w/titanium rails
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.