in

"S-Series" vs S3

Last post 08-07-2019 5:35 AM by Xriss. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-21-2019 12:18 PM

• m66
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-29-2014
    • Posts 39

"S-Series" vs S3

Has any info been posted about the S-Series bike on the Cervelo website? It appears to be the same as the new S3, but the frame price is $4000 vs $4200 for the S3 frame.
  • 07-25-2019 10:48 PM In reply to

• Art_Mtl
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2016
    • Montreal
    • Posts 25

Re: "S-Series" vs S3

maybe it's like the new S2 since there's no more S2.
  • 07-29-2019 10:15 AM In reply to

I don't see an R2 either. Maybe they'll come out with an R-Series?
    2016 R3 Ultegra Di2 61cm
    1999 Litespeed Tuscany Ultegra 61cm
  • 08-02-2019 5:52 PM In reply to

the interesting part is when you look at the frame only price (disc option) the S3 is $200 more than the S-Series.... and specs are the same so does that mean the S3 is a lighter layup? I know at one time the difference between one model number and another was the weight when they came out of the mold, but in some cases the layup was different so I don't see what the difference is... and they don't set up the full builds to make it look like the S3 is the premium frame? the S- Series is disc only while S3 is both options but the disc frame S3 is $200 more than the Series frame only?
  • 08-06-2019 11:43 AM In reply to

• m66
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-29-2014
    • Posts 39

There was a time when this forum was monitored by Cervelo employees and questions like this would get answered....I asked my local dealer and they didn't know, said they would check with Cervelo but I haven't heard back from them yet. Interestingly, when the new (2019) S3 and S5 were launched, the "S-Series" moniker was attached to all of them - it was written on the top tube and also on the seat tube. This year, it still appears on the S3, BUT NOT ON THE S-SERIES! It doesn't show on any of the S5 frames except the Sunweb team frameset. Reason I'm asking is I'm considering buying an S3 disc frame only - color way on the S-Series disc frame only is black/red, which I like. Color way on the S3 disc frame only is yellow, which I don't want. But I really want to know why the S-Series is $200 less. It used to be S5 hi mod, S3 standard mod. Is there an even lower (heavier) mod for the S-Series?
  • 08-06-2019 6:23 PM In reply to

Actually I was lucky enough to be at a Cervelo talk with one of the composite engineers. There has never truly been a hi mod lo modulus Cervelo, as he put it the right modulus for the situation. So that is just a marketing thing and not an engineering thing. Carbon lay up is a very complicated business and they have special programs to decide what modulus goes where and how much, what orientation etc. So I doubt for $200 that is the difference. I wish I knew though because it is weird. For instance the S5 was a whole different bike and they had a VWD version which used a bit nicer lay up, resin application, and was a bit lighter. It was no hi modulus, the only way to tell the two apart was by the weight of the frame. The difference was about 200g or so as I recall.
  • 08-07-2019 5:35 AM In reply to

• Xriss
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-02-2017
    • Zurich, Switzerland
    • Posts 16

It looks like the S-Series is Etap only. Therefore no routing for shifting/Di2 cables and no Di2 Battery fixation which might be the reason for the lower frame price.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.