in

Hambini's very negative comments on Cervelo

Last post 07-04-2020 4:06 PM by Alphasports. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-21-2020 12:48 PM

• elsdg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-18-2012
    • Posts 63

Hambini's very negative comments on Cervelo

Just bought an R5, what have I done? Have you all seen this? Is it old news on here? I know it's one person's opinion but it sounds terrifying: https://www.hambini.com/hambini-roasts-cervelo/ Has Cervelo commented officially on it?
  • 06-21-2020 3:09 PM In reply to

• Kookie
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2012
    • Toronto
    • Posts 441

Re: Hambini's very negative comments on Cervelo

I follow his YT channel. He's entertaining! I guess I've been lucky so far. I've owned a few (had a 2012 S5 Team, 2014 S3 and 2013 R5) and still have a couple of Cervelo's and no issues.
    2017 Cervelo S5 SRAM eTap
    2018 Cervelo R5 Classics Edition Limited Frameset
  • 06-22-2020 9:53 AM In reply to

Disclaimer: I haven't watched that video in particular because I've moved on from Hambini. His early videos were well done and full of good information but I've been turned off from his later videos because of his delivery. Seems more hype than anything else. I will acknowledge that he seems to be a qualified engineer and probably knows what he is talking about. The other thing to remember is that the frames he gets are sent to him because they have problems so I think there is a sense that if one frame is bad then everything produced by the company he's showing must be bad too, which is I think a quite a leap. I'd suggest you ride your bike and if there are any issues look into a replacement under warranty. I've had my R3 since 2016 and haven't had any problems with the bearings and they have over 7,000 miles on them.
    2016 R3 Ultegra Di2 61cm
    1999 Litespeed Tuscany Ultegra 61cm
  • 06-22-2020 11:52 AM In reply to

• elsdg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-18-2012
    • Posts 63

You do have to put up with 45 mins of swearing and padding but the main finding seems to be that you can't do that anymore as Cervelo appear to be trying to get out of any warranty claims by saying the frame (which wouldn't have been before) is "within tolerance". That might be completely unfair which was I started this thread. I was hoping it was old news, had been discussed to death and Cervelo had issued a robust defence as to why he was talking rubbish. I know it's daft but it's taken the shine off my purchase a little as you do buy into a brand when you spend that much.
  • 06-22-2020 1:28 PM In reply to

Watch his appearance in a GCN video trying to explain the differences in bearings - embarrassing. He’s a hack that only knows how to employ negativity in order to sell his product. Other engineers won’t waste their breath on his name.
  • 06-23-2020 1:42 AM In reply to

Is this the bloke who said zipp wheels were no good ?
  • 06-23-2020 12:00 PM In reply to

I share his comments on Damon Rinard. He is also correct on the ludicrous tolerances of BBright. It is a cost cutting exercise by Cervelo and completely unacceptable.
    AF

- Cervélo R5
    - Cervélo Soloist Team
  • 06-23-2020 12:58 PM In reply to

• Kookie
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2012
    • Toronto
    • Posts 441

Lincolndave:
    Is this the bloke who said zipp wheels were no good ?
    I think he was specifically stating the "dimple" and "shark teeth" designs are $hi%e in regards to aerodynamics. But then again in general, he doesn't hold SRAM/Zipp engineering too high on his "scale", especially their QC.
    2017 Cervelo S5 SRAM eTap
    2018 Cervelo R5 Classics Edition Limited Frameset
  • 06-23-2020 4:35 PM In reply to

• Butch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-07-2016
    • Moved from Southern Maine to Florida
    • Posts 63

I watched Hambini's video. I haven't had problems with my 2015 R2. Before or after changing from FSA to Ultegra last year. The FSA crank with over 4000 miles on it was in great shape when it came out. Never heard a sound out of it. I spread my rides across 4 different bikes, reserving the R2 for the hilliest rides. Now that I moved from Maine to Florida, my old Cervelo is not getting many miles on it, so it may never wear out. Florida is mostly an aero bike flatland paradise where the hot wind is constantly trying to kill you. Anyone on this forum have serious problems with their Cervelo bottom brackets?
    2015 R2 fun (climbing and all around) bike, upgraded some to become just a hair lighter in 2016 (it was an orphan leftover at the LBS). Glad I picked it up.
    Step 1: Lighter wheels... done! 1342g, down from 2000g
    Step 2: Fabric Line 142mm saddle w/titanium rails
    Step 3: Complete Ultegra R8000 Groupset installed
    Step 4: Near Super bike status. It's my go to bike for most rides.
  • 06-23-2020 5:46 PM In reply to

I think Hambini is a bit pompous and crass, not really a fan. However he is right about the tolerances on BBright - there is no way they should be that wide. When the acceptable tolerances increase like that then the chances of getting a bad frame do as well. That means increased creaking, poor bearing life. This is simply bad engineering. Vroomen doesn't use BBright on either the OPEN or 3T frames, I wonder why...
    AF

- Cervélo R5
    - Cervélo Soloist Team
  • 06-25-2020 5:21 AM In reply to

• elsdg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-18-2012
    • Posts 63

Thanks for the comments. Stepping back though, I think we all agree that Hambini should be taken with a pinch of salt and his delivery is certainly dodgy. To me though it sounds like their could be at least a grain of truth to what he's asserting so my questions would be: 1) Is the BB tolerance lower than other manufacturers and, in particular, other premium manufacturers? 2) If it is lower, why was it changed? 3) Have Cervelo commented on any of this? Anyone got links into Cervelo and could quiz them?
  • 07-04-2020 4:06 PM In reply to

I have zero issues with my BB on my 2013 R3, doesn't make a sound. But, the bike was bought last year basically new old stock so it doesn't have a ton of miles on it but eyeballing the BB I see no issues. At the same time I have to admit being very skeptical of any modern mass produced carbon frame, they cost very little to produce which is why so many manufacturers can offer lifetime warranties...I'm guessing it would take replacing 10 frames or more to the same original buyer to come anywhere near losing money on the original bike.
    --------------------------
    Cervelo R3
    Trek Top Fuel 9
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.