in

2011 R3 Cervelo built today (inc pics).

Last post 03-08-2011 1:50 PM by LSD. 32 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-10-2010 4:04 PM

2011 R3 Cervelo built today (inc pics).

Having had our 1st drop of 2011 R3's I set about building up the first of our test bikes for a customer to borrow.

I had read a lot about what I was going to find and what I may need, but going through the process wasn't easy and there were several issues and questions that I turned up. The main one being 'is BB right really bb right?'

Obviously with any new standard or product there is going to be a degree of 'teething' but with BB right I think only time will tell if Cervelo's move to thier (currently) own standard is a good idea.

Firstly I completely understand that to improve on the current R3 something had to give. The reason I love Cervelo is that they are always pushing the boundries and BB right is a good move in performance terms. The issue I have is with supply and choice. We have frames on sale in our store, infact I'm in the process of selling one and need to build up our test bike range too.

The first issue I have is what cranks can I fit? I can't find any body who has any idea of what BB right even is let alone buying any cranks from them! Are we really going to be able to easily buy BB right cranks from our local distributor in the future?...really?

I hunted around and tracked down the only current solution, a load of Rotor 'Cervelo' branded cranks. Nobody has another option, not even an adaptor cup (which defeats the point of BB right anyway, it almost shouting BB WRONG!!).

So as long as you want to spend £400 on a set of OK Rotor cranks then somebody has to fit them. The frame comes with a BB 'right' push fit BB and that was simple to fit. There is then several washers in a bag. The cranks then came with more spacers, a bolt and a bearing adjuster on the lh crank (like Shimano XTR). There were no instructions, no guidence provided in the box, that woulld have helped. I called the distributor and the Cervelo man there was having similar issues to me (no info etc.) and had no solutions as to how to fit the cranks 'correctly' and how Cervelo intend (their own) standard to be realised!  Why nothing on the website? Why not be prepared? I can't help feeling the frames have just been released too early and/or if BB right is to work then it really needs to be properly supported. It's the same when it comes to the new geometries too! I have no idea if the new R3 has the new geometry!

After a hour or so I'm pretty sure I've got it right having applied the knowlage of BB30 and Shimano XTR cranks, oh and working out how to remove the cranks during the trail and error process (not obvious without any form or instructions as there is no self-extractor bolt of tool supplied with Rotor cranks).

I can't help thinking this is silly bad press for BB right, simply because frame can be purchased now. There is a real lack of crank/BB options in the UK at the moment, this may well change in a month or two, but I'd like to know this is going to happen before splashing out on a new frame. Therefore I'm waiting to see what happens before I buy my new Cervelo (it will be a Cervelo) and I'm sure others will too until BB right is up to speed!

Anyway, the bike looked spot on and the ride is exceptional, really really stiff and reponsive! I want one.

Here's some pics:

r31.jpg picture by markakers100

r32.jpg picture by markakers100

r33.jpg picture by markakers100

Here's to the future (:

• 09-11-2010 6:44 PM In reply to

Re: 2011 R3 Cervelo built today (inc pics).

I'm sure it is frustrating trying to assemble the new design bottom bracket with no instructions. That was a major oversight by Cervelo. But let's be patient on this point. I'm sure the geniuses at Cervelo can email you some directions. Ultimately it appears to be a great design.

More importantly is the strategy regarding the BB right intellectual property and Cervelo's approach to gain acceptance of the new bottom bracket by component makers. Cervelo has gone on record to say that adapters will be available for Shimano and Campy and that FSA will make a crank that fits in addition to Rotor. Cannondale gave away the BB30 design for free for bragging rights to a new industry standard and it has caught on very well.  We will see if Cervelo adopts the open architecture strategy or if they want to keep the design proprietary and possibly gain some licensing fees. That would certainly slow its adoption by the industry.  As consumers, we obviously want our bikes to be supported by the widest possible selection of third-party components.

Dan

• 09-11-2010 11:07 PM In reply to

Just a question on the new bb right compatibility. I am waiting on replacement R3, as my 09 just cracked and they have no 2010 r3 lefts to send me.

Will my Sram Red Non - BB30, crank work with this when it comes or will i have to fork out for a new crankset?.

My big problem is that i have had the bike for 6 weeks!

• 09-12-2010 5:33 PM In reply to

Based  on the 2011 video on the Cervelo website, I would say you would clearly need an adapter of some sort.

• 09-12-2010 5:50 PM In reply to

I'm rather curious about crank based power meters such as SRM and Quarq. I wonder if they will be able to function with Cervelo or would you be forced to use a powertap or some new kind of power meter.

The bike looks pretty nice. On a side note: does anyone have any full pictures of the red and black S2? I have a good mental image of what it might look like, but actual pictures would be interesting to see. 

• 09-13-2010 3:23 AM In reply to

I remember when cannondale were using BB30 and nobody else was, it was a real pain getting any 3rd party cranks and bb's. Infact, it's still a bit of a pain getting hold of bb30 parts now (even with the increasing amount of companies adopting it on their frames).

It relies not only on the components manufacturers like Shimano, Campy and Sram, but also on the people who distribute and import them in a given country. It is their choice how many bbright (and bb30) cranks are imported (if any). I can't see many distributors bringing in large numbers of cranks that use a standard that they have never heard of that can only be fitted to a brand of bikes that they have no vested interest in (for example, our Sram supplier also imports Look framesets and he'd love Cervelo to be replaced by Look in our store, is he really gonna be behind BBright?) .

I can see nearly every 2011 customer having to use an adaptor cup (should they end up existing) instead of a 'proper' BBright crankset. This is fine and is a solution but is always going to be a compromise on the ideals of BBright. I will be interested to see how the adaptor works with standard cranks. Is a BBright with an adaptor cup better than a standard 68mm threaded shell? Probably not. I'm guessing more weight/complication and loss of the increased stiffness of BBright. At least it would be a stop-gap solution until (or if) the component manufacturers get on board.

The problem I have is that we have frames ready to sell, they have BBright shells and BB's with them. I have no adaptor cups at this point and have people wanting to buy the bikes. The only solution is to sell them a £400 rotor crankset. This would be great to offer as an 'option' but not as an 'only current solution'.

I am waiting on the fitting instructions from the distributor, he's had to e-mail Cervelo and is waiting for a reply, hopefully they'll arrive this week. I'm pretty sure I've fitted them as intended but something in black and white would be nice, even if it's just for warrenty reasons. It would have been far better for the fitting instructions and an 'Introduction to BBright' to have been put on the website. This would have saved all of the problems. Also a list of part numbers for Sram, FSA and Shimano cranks that claim to be available. Any info I get I'll post up as I'm sure there will be others that will need fitting instructions and solutions for BBright

• 09-13-2010 12:42 PM In reply to

Here is a nice presentation on BB-right by Rotor.

http://www.rotorbike.com/nueva/pdf/BBright_en.pdf

• 09-14-2010 5:01 AM In reply to

Nothing wrong with the theory (;

• 09-15-2010 10:07 AM In reply to

What a beauty. 

Don't follow me.... you won't make it.
  • 09-17-2010 11:39 PM In reply to

My 2010 R3 frame cracked today and I have had it 6 weeks - I share your pain because I am now waiting on a new frame and can't get a 2010 frame either.  I am worried that my Shimano crank will sit idle while they locate an adapter for it.  Plus, I am not a big fan of adapting anything to a design that is not intended for what I already have.  I may see what can be done through Cervelo to get a BBright Rotor crank and go with that (assumng I can find one).  More than likely I am on my own there and will end up paying $$$$ I never intended to spend.

Has anyone else had trouble with Cervelo frames cracking???

2015 R5 Dura Ace
    2012 S5 VWD Dura Ace Di2
    2011 R3 Dura Ace
    Zipp 303 Firecrest Clinchers
    Zipp 303 Firecrest Tubies
  • 09-18-2010 2:05 AM In reply to

Where did your frame crack??

07 R3 SL
    Sram Red
  • 09-18-2010 2:17 PM In reply to

scottmesenbrink:

Has anyone else had trouble with Cervelo frames cracking???

Use the search engine on upper right corner of your screen....you will find MULTIPLE threads about other people's experiences with cracked R-series frames. EM3
  • 09-18-2010 3:07 PM In reply to

andrewm:

I'm rather curious about crank based power meters such as SRM and Quarq. I wonder if they will be able to function with Cervelo or would you be forced to use a powertap or some new kind of power meter.

Quarq is (was?) a partner of Cervelo Test Team. The Cinqo power meter replaces the spider, so I can't image why a redesigned BB would have any effect on this. It measures the strain placed on the chainrings by the cranks. I believe CTT has been using them on their ROTOR cranksets.

• 09-19-2010 4:22 PM In reply to

Has anyone had a look at this:

http://www.bbright.net/

I've had a run through the system with the cervelo guys at Eurobike although we didn't get into installation. my initial feeling is that possibly the frames have been delivered before the 3rd party OEM suppliers could get parts ready.

I don't want to speak on Cervelo's behalf, but the bottom line is that Campy, FSA and Rotor have produced BBright compatable cranks (basically a BB30 and old style 25mm hybrid) and SRAM is to follow shortly. To run any external shimano spec crank one requires a reducer cup, to be produced by Rotor, on either side of the BB to bring the diameter down from 30 to 25mm. This set-up will still be stiffer than external threaded bearing cups as the frame itself is stiffer as is the frame/bearing interface.

I've ridden both the new R3 and the R5 and promise you that the improvement is phenomenal, well worth any one time hassle on installation..

good luck!

jw

• 09-19-2010 5:10 PM In reply to

My frame cracked at the BB area.  It was creaking a bit under load and finally gave out to form a semicircle crack around the BB area on the left side.  It creaks and pops like crazy now that this has formed. The bike shop told me that it could be paint giving way and that some creaking is normal.  Not sure if this is normal, but they are sending pictures to Cervelo tomorrow to get their opinion.

2015 R5 Dura Ace
    2012 S5 VWD Dura Ace Di2
    2011 R3 Dura Ace
    Zipp 303 Firecrest Clinchers
    Zipp 303 Firecrest Tubies
Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.