in

New version of Sram Red for 2012

Last post 07-10-2012 2:37 PM by Hutch. 49 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (50 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-01-2011 10:20 AM

New version of Sram Red for 2012

Looks like no electronic shifting and still remaining as 10 speed, but hey... something new.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2011/12/01/sneak-peak-all-new-sram-red-group/

• 12-15-2011 1:20 PM In reply to

Re: New version of Sram Red for 2012

MORE PICS... where are my upgrade junkies at??!!  Zoomed in shots here: http://www.bikerumor.com/2011/12/15/big-tease-more-photos-of-2012-sram-red-group/

• 12-16-2011 2:16 PM In reply to

Yeah, still waiting for a price though. Cant wait to see what upgrades they have made.

Joel

Cervelo S2
    Zipp 404 tub
    Force/Red mixed groupo
  • 12-16-2011 3:58 PM In reply to

From what I've read so far, there is going to be approximately a 10% increase in retail price. 

Every single component appears to have been tweaked.  Not only was most of the effort in making it lighter, but also more aero with the brakes and derailleurs getting a lot of work.  The shifthers too have been modified somewhat... the lever looks a bit longer, more area on the hood tips, still double-tap of course, but there is rumor there might be a small shift tab like Campy to have quicker multi cog sweep to a higher gear... rumor though.  The crankset now has one of the spider arms integrated ann behind the crank arm, like Campy.  Overall, the improvements are in weight, a bit of aero polish, and perhaps a bit more area at the hoods for your hands... I know that's one of the things that I noticed was lacking when I changed from Shimano to Sram.

I think Sram still believes in the mechanical idea for components. People who love everything mechanical about riding a bike will jump on it.  Plus,people make money to make their bikes lighter and Sram certainly lightens things up.

No 11 speed, no electronic shifting... no problem!

• 12-16-2011 4:59 PM In reply to

Aha thanks, haven't noticed this website yet as i haven't checked for a while but i think i am definitely considering it now. In alternative to my current DA.

Joel

Cervelo S2
    Zipp 404 tub
    Force/Red mixed groupo
  • 12-16-2011 7:20 PM In reply to

I'm very excited about the disc brakes. I'm sure Cervelo can work some aero magic on the brake calipers. If I could fit them to my S5 by way of a new forks I would do it. They would be perfect for the mountain run I have been doing. My current SRAM caliper aren't exactly aero anyway.
  • 01-12-2012 10:49 AM In reply to

New rumor/info on the new Sram Red...

Sram Red:

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/01/12/2012-sram-red-pricing-weights-leaked/#more-38814

Plus, an interesting idea/rumor based on a sponsor on the new Garmin kit...

Magura and Garmin:

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/01/11/magura-sponsoring-team-garmin-barracuda-cervelos-to-have-hydraulic-braking/

• 01-12-2012 7:20 PM In reply to

Nice! I hope it's true. Can you imagine how nice the braking could be on a hydro-braked TT bike?!?

I hope they don't go with disc brakes - added weight, added drag, added wheel non-interchangeability...

• 01-12-2012 7:28 PM In reply to

d_1234:

I hope they don't go with disc brakes - added weight, added drag, added wheel non-interchangeability...

Especially with the debate as to stay with a 130mm rear spacing vs. 135mm... it should be interesting to see what Magura and Acros have up their sleeves.

• 01-13-2012 6:53 PM In reply to

Hutch:
    it should be interesting to see what Magura and Acros have up their sleeves.

Acros? That would be sweet, but I think that's just cyclingnews' speculation - word now is that Cervelo is Magura's partner. If so I bet the brake is super aero! Can you imagine how slick you could make a hydralic brake with Cervelo's years (decades?) of wind tunnel experience and Magura's decades (centuries?) of hydraulic experience?

• 01-13-2012 7:48 PM In reply to

• jlong
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-27-2011
    • Posts 80

Hutch:
    d_1234:

Especially with the debate as to stay with a 130mm rear spacing vs. 135mm... it should be interesting to see what Magura and Acros have up their sleeves.

I have a different view.  It will be very disruptive and a pain in the rear for the industry to switch to disc brakes on road bikes.  But, imagine what you can do with carbon rims if you don't need those parallel braking surfaces (stronger and lighter), and all the other benefits that would ripple through.  The transition will be painful, but a few years after the dust settles we will be glad.

• 01-13-2012 8:00 PM In reply to

d_1234:

Hutch:
    it should be interesting to see what Magura and Acros have up their sleeves.

Acros? That would be sweet, but I think that's just cyclingnews' speculation - word now is that Cervelo is Magura's partner. If so I bet the brake is super aero! Can you imagine how slick you could make a hydralic brake with Cervelo's years (decades?) of wind tunnel experience and Magura's decades (centuries?) of hydraulic experience?

The more I look at Magura's teaser pic on Cyclingnews and then watch the teaser video of the "coming soon" release, the more I think this is related to a brake system.  Why else would you do a video descending on wet roads? 

I agree with you, with Cervelo's aero experts disc brakes could literally disappear from the wind... Magura knows that if this thing catches on, especially with Cervelo leading the way it could be a huge advantage ahead of whatever Shimano or Sram do .  I just hope it's not something similar to their rim brakes systems.  Also, it wouldn't surprise me if the new P5 has some neat integrated brakes a la Trek, with development from the aforementioned suspects. 

• 01-14-2012 12:26 PM In reply to

Agree!

Except I still think rim brakes are the way to go, not discs.

• Discs have to be heavier (there's no way to absorb the heat, and there's even more on road bikes with their higher speeds)
    • Forks and frames have to be heavier (the forces are substantial, asymmetrical and located differently)
    • Discs can't be as aero! And if you fair them, they loose heat capacity.
    • What about wheel changes in a race? Rubbing brakes, nothanks...

RIm brakes all the way! Magura's rim brakes work flawlessly for decades on thousands (millions?) of city bikes.

Can't wiat to find out what they've really done.

• 01-14-2012 3:11 PM In reply to

Rim brakes definitely, i have got the discs on my cross bike and they are definitely more hassle than there worth.

Joel

Cervelo S2
    Zipp 404 tub
    Force/Red mixed groupo
  • 01-15-2012 10:12 AM In reply to

• Arne
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-07-2009
    • Montreal, Quebec
    • Posts 92

Does anyone have a sense of when the groupset will actually make it to the dealers for sale? In other words, even if the grouppo is anounced in late January/early February, how long does it usually take to make its way through the distributors and then to the dealers? I am building up an S3 and do not want to wait until the Summer or later to get it on the road.
    2016 S2 etap
    2013 R3 red
    2011 S3 DA7900
    2010 P2 DA7900 mix
    2008 Rancilio Silvia & Rocky
Page 1 of 4 (50 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.