in

New version of Sram Red for 2012

Last post 07-10-2012 2:37 PM by Hutch. 49 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-02-2012 11:10 PM In reply to

Re: New version of Sram Red for 2012

Arne:
    I wonder if it will fit the 800?

Good question... I'm assuming that the mount works like the stem mount, you just twist the computer in place and off the same way.  The only thing that I see being a problem is that the 800 is a bigger unit and thus be offset towards the stem and not lineup with the locking system.  Also, the front of this mount is snuggly close to the front of the computer unit, so it would imply that its for the 500.  I don't see why one wouldn't be developed for the 800 since it uses ANT+ as well, stay tuned...

• 02-03-2012 3:09 AM In reply to

Hutch:

goodshot:

Also note that on new Red, one of the chain ring bolts mates/fastens directly the back side of the crank arm, so I don't even know if the new chain rings will be compatible with anything other than a Red crank. 

Yeah, I was trying to do some overlapping of the new rings and old rings to see how the bolt holes would line up, but didn't get anything concrete.  I did read that the BCD remains the same.  Looking at the old and new spiders they both appear to have equal distance between arms, perhaps as you rotate the new chainring it will still fall in line with the BCD pattern of the older cranks.  What do you think after looking at these pics?

Edit/Addition:  Another thing I noticed is the positioning of the pin that prevents the chain from falling between the crankarm and the chainring... that pin would be offset no matter what and not lineup directly with the crankarm.

If you look closely at the bolt hole adjacent to the pin, I see a different curvature profile just above at the top/inner portion that mates up to the spider. It appears to be asymmetric from the other four. I can't think of a chain ring & crank that doesn't have a symmetrical profile all way around just above the bolt holes, where it lines up & mates with the spider. If that's the case, it'll only work on the new Red cranks unless this same technology trickles down to the other lines as well.
    Beyond the Forum Participant - 2014

'08 SLT (RIP)
    '10 R3 (RIP)
    '11 R3 Team - SRAM Red
  • 02-03-2012 3:25 AM In reply to

goodshot:
    Hutch:

goodshot:

Also note that on new Red, one of the chain ring bolts mates/fastens directly the back side of the crank arm, so I don't even know if the new chain rings will be compatible with anything other than a Red crank. 

If you look closely at the bolt hole adjacent to the pin, I see a different curvature profile just above at the top/inner portion that mates up to the spider. It appears to be asymmetric from the other four. I can't think of a chain ring & crank that doesn't have a symmetrical profile all way around just above the bolt holes, where it lines up & mates with the spider. If that's the case, it'll only work on the new Red cranks unless this same technology trickles down to the other lines as well.

Yeah, I kinda see what you are talking about now... if that's the case, it's a shame.   After reading the initial reviews, it appears they really made some major improvements in front shifting with the chainring/FD combo.  I'm happy with my Force right now, so I only see the cassette as a potential upgrade.

• 02-03-2012 7:30 PM In reply to

More details about the future Sram hydraulic brakes and rim brakes in the latest Bikeradar article by James Huang:

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/sram-2013-red-hydraulic-brakes-first-look-33108

• 02-08-2012 3:27 PM In reply to

It has been reported that the design of the shifter is not final, but I doubt it will look anything like the mechanical one.  After all, they still need room for the master cylinder, so it will probably look a little clunky.  Stories on: Road.CC, Velonews and Bikerumor.com

• 02-08-2012 4:49 PM In reply to

Thanks Hutch. I've been very keen to see what they come up with. It looks ok, not great but like you say it's not final.
  • 02-08-2012 10:05 PM In reply to

goodshot:
    Hutch:

goodshot:

Yeah, I was trying to do some overlapping of the new rings and old rings to see how the bolt holes would line up, but didn't get anything concrete.  I did read that the BCD remains the same.  Looking at the old and new spiders they both appear to have equal distance between arms, perhaps as you rotate the new chainring it will still fall in line with the BCD pattern of the older cranks.  What do you think after looking at these pics?

Edit/Addition:  Another thing I noticed is the positioning of the pin that prevents the chain from falling between the crankarm and the chainring... that pin would be offset no matter what and not lineup directly with the crankarm.

It wont work correctly because while it will bolt up due to the same bolt circle, the pins and ramps and the anti-chain drop pin will be clocked in the wrong position and will likely not shift correctly.
  • 02-08-2012 10:14 PM In reply to

Yeah, it's a bummer... I really like the look of this chainring.  Outside of the RD, brakes, cassette and chain, Sram designed everything else in a way that compatibility is non existant or at least as you say "not shift correctly".
  • 03-13-2012 5:36 PM In reply to

Hutch:

Quarq specifc mount launched with their powermeter...

Not related to Sram Red 2012... related to this new mount for your Garmin 200, 500 and 800... pretty cool!

Story here: http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/03/13/bar-fly-puts-your-garmin-on-the-big-boy-seat/#more-41349

• 03-13-2012 7:22 PM In reply to

Interesting article and testing done by Velonews which highlights some of the compatibility concerns riders had in regards to mix and matching older Sram parts with the newly released Sram Red for 2012.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/03/news/it-works-we-test-sram-red-backwards-compatibility_209270

• 03-14-2012 2:25 AM In reply to

• airkon
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-06-2011
    • Posts 7

Looks like it's possible to just upgrade the SRAM crankset alone. Awesome.
  • 03-14-2012 3:14 AM In reply to

If your 7900 isn't shifting perfectly then it's not set up correctly. I have it on two bikes with no problems.
    S5 Team
    S works Tarmac
  • 03-15-2012 11:26 AM In reply to

I wonder what the velonews articles means for compatibility with FSA BBright cranks and Rotor 3D+? Do you guys think you can get the new Red and use it with one of these cranks?
    Every climb has its end. Verily with every difficulty, there is relief.
    2012 Cervelo R3
  • 03-17-2012 1:39 PM In reply to

Probably but I wouldn't expect it to function as quoted by VN. Might be a hair different. You can probably score old red cranksets at a bargain right now. Everyone seems to be blowing them out. Check Biketiresdirect.com.
    2011 Cervélo RS - SRAM Red
    2014 Cervélo R3 - SRAM Red eTap
    2015 Felt F1X - SRAM Force CX1
    2015 Surly Ice Cream Truck
    2017 BMC Fourstroke01 - Shimano XT
    2018 Raleigh RXS
  • 04-02-2012 9:27 PM In reply to

• levi
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-27-2010
    • Posts 373

I love the new SRAM Red AeroLink Brakes! Cheers! --Levi--
Page 3 of 4 (50 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Copyright © 2007-2013 Cervélo Cycles Inc. All rights reserved.